Black Money Business Jobs : Black Job Applicants Change ‘Black-Sounding’ Names,Awards and Organizations to Bypass Discrimination

Chidike

Feb 21, 2016
Now of course we don't and shouldn't get discriminated against...... but i'm not going to purposely change my name just to appease them like some "good little slave". Its like trying to make the oppressor comfortable, so we can get some scraps........

9-28-Getty-Job-Fair-300x218.jpg

http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/03...s-and-organizations-to-bypass-discrimination/

A study conducted by researchers at the University of Toronto has confirmed something that many Black people have suspected for a long time. Employers discriminate against job applicants with “Black” sounding names.

According to The Guardian, researchers showed that when Black applicants “whitened” their resumes, it doubled the chances of receiving callbacks. The two-year study was recently published in theAdministrative Science Quarterly journal. The researchers sent 1,600 fictional resumes to employers in 16 American cities. They found that 25 percent of Black job applicants who whitened their resumes received callbacks. However, when applicants did not alter their resumes only 10 percent received callbacks.

According to Sonia Kang, co-author of the study and assistant professor at the University of Toronto Mississauga, the study also found Asian students whitening their resumes. However, Black and Asian students had different ways of doing this. Black students were more likely to remove references to Black organizations from their resumes. Asian students changed their names to American-sounding ones.

A Black law student told the researchers she did this practice so she could get her foot in the door at a potential employer.

“If I have an African name or if I’m like president of the African American Society or something, if that’s on my resume, they automatically know my ethnicity,” she said. “And because of that, if I have the same credentials as someone of another race, let’s say a white person, then they would get a callback over me. So if from the beginning they don’t know my race . . . then I’m more likely to get a callback.”

Part of the problem is stereotyping, which is often aided by the media. When people see names like Lakeisha or Tyrone, they carry a connotation which is not always true. Crime stories, which dominate the media, often focus on Black criminals, even though white people also commit violent crime. And reality shows are also a problem. Many of these heavily edited shows, such as Love & Hip Hop and Basketball Wives, focus on Black women behaving outrageously for the cameras. Unfortunately, many white people believe what they see.

Some Black people have bought into this stereotyping. Raven-Symoné, a co-host on The View who is infamous for infuriating Black people with her media gaffes, caught flack last year when she admitted that she wouldn’t hire an applicant with a Black-sounding name.

Kang said racial minorities shouldn’t have to hide their cultural backgrounds just so they can get a job.

“Some people have found that whitening helps, but I think that the larger message is that it shouldn’t be up to minorities to find ways to avoid discrimination,” she said in an interview with The Guardian. “It’s really a wake-up call for organizations to do something to address this problem. Discrimination is still a reality.”

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
DUH!!!!!!

This has been known for years

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
DUH!!!!!!

This has been known for years

True, nothing new, but still very sad. I think that due to the political correctness movement that started full force back in the 80s, it fostered a more hypersensitive American society, especially among younger Blacks that want to pursue jobs in white corporate America. Raven Symone, as harsh and ignorant as it was, said what a lot of people--Black and white--think. Some of our Black youth think they will be stigmatized by their cultural names, probably went through school being laughed at and as adults seeking employment in predominately white professional settings, want to "hide" and eliminate any potential discrimination prior to being seen as a legitimate job applicant. But we don't hear of children of Hippies, who are primarily white, changing their names to avoid discrimination in the job market. Probably because Hippies are running the corporations now and have given up on the notion to "fight the establishment" and have become more like their parents as they age.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
True, nothing new, but still very sad. I think that due to the political correctness movement that started full force back in the 80s, it fostered a more hypersensitive American society, especially among younger Blacks that want to pursue jobs in white corporate America. Raven Symone, as harsh and ignorant as it was, said what a lot of people--Black and white--think. Some of our Black youth think they will be stigmatized by their cultural names, probably went through school being laughed at and as adults seeking employment in predominately white professional settings, want to "hide" and eliminate any potential discrimination prior to being seen as a legitimate job applicant. But we don't hear of children of Hippies, who are primarily white, changing their names to avoid discrimination in the job market. Probably because Hippies are running the corporations now and have given up on the notion to "fight the establishment" and have become more like their parents as they age.

When will we learn, we aren't white?

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Although this phenomena surely still exists, I think Oprah, Barack and Condoleeza, et. al., may have made it just a little bit easier on generations to come.

But, having a name that is phonetically spelled correct might help.

I wouldn't suggest changing your name or your resume though, because, in the end, you'd have to work with these people. If they have this kind of mindset, you'd be better off working with someone else.

My son's first name is African inspired.... though white folk don't recognize it as so. His middle name is African. His last name is a "slave name". It is up to him whether he wants to use his middle name, his middle initial, or reference it at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Destee Black People Politics : Give a black man a job (@BarackObama this time) and white men will get mad Black People Politics 1
Enki Law Forum : Cop Keeps Job After Threatening To Kill Black Man, Cover It Up Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
Chevron Dove Black Christians : JOB, His Beautiful Daughters, His Black African Wife & the Arameans Christian Study Group 3
Destee Black People : What Black Person Does What They Want on a Job? Black People Open Forum 49
D Black People : Black man fired from JOB for using the 'N' WORD Black People Open Forum 3
Isaiah Black Sports : BLACK COACHES IN THE NFL DOING A FINE JOB... Black Sports 29
42Tribes Black Spirituality Religion : Exploring Josephus’s “Black” Jesus with Truthwatchers Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
SwagII Black Education / Schools : The American Dream, "as it pertains to black americans." Black Education / Schools 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Data Proves It: Black People in America Are Not Even a Demographic Monolith African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Racism causes high infertility in Black women Black Health and Wellness 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : This Black Family Ran a Thriving Beach Resort 100 Years Ago. They Want Their Land Back African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Power Rankings Sunken Place Edition: Top 10 Black Folks who’ve lost the most since Donald Trump left office Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : Black Queen Charlotte Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : yeah black history is a whack mystery and my back still blistery from being whip lashed , ready to grip some cash and run to the underground railroad Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH Black Entertainment 29
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 'African Gene Theory' Is a Myth, and It's Harming Black Men's Heart Health Black Health and Wellness 0
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black On The Bottom Policies - Tariq Rasheed Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Barack Obama opens up about the difficulty of 'being a functioning Black person in America' in surprise appearance Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Feeling politically powerless, black Christians find more comfort in black church: study Christian Study Group 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Women Aren't Saving America For You. They're Protecting Themselves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : For Black Americans, a Heritage Trip to West Africa Can Be Life-Changing Black Travel 0
Kemetstry African American History Culture : THE BLACK SPARROW African American History Culture 2
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black In America Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black female scientist at forefront of COVID-19 vaccine development Black People Doing Positive Things 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joy Reid nails the difference between white and Black people after Capitol riots Black People Politics 4
Destee Pets / Animals : Black the Rottweiler - playing with his toy Pets / Animals 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : America has an urgent need for Black doctors: 'It's hard to be what you can't imagine' Black Health and Wellness 0
One-Hundredd Black Entertainment : Jewels of Wisdom found in GTA 5's Black protagonist Franklin Clinton Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Kwanzaa Is Not ‘Black Christmas’—Here’s What It Actually Is (And How We Celebrate) Black People Open Forum 2
Discerning Black People Politics : Black People: Know your REAL enemy Black People Politics 14
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Parenting : The reality of Black men's love lives and marriages is very different than what's usually shown on TV – I spent years actually talking to them Black Parenting 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : A Black Student's Mother Complained About 'Fences.' He Was Expelled Black Education / Schools 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED ATH;ETIC BRANDS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : The Destruction Of The Black Afrikan Woman Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 'You are my wildest dream': Sydney Barber will be first Black woman to serve as US Naval Academy brigade commander Black People Doing Positive Things 0
I_AM_HER Steals and Deals : Black woman -owned Candle Shop in Houston, TX Shopping - Steals and Deals! 0
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Take that, you Black and Latino defectors! Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Louisiana man sentenced to 25 years for burning Black churches Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
C Black People : Will The Black Divine Beings Ever Rise Again? Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Older Black Voters are doing their part Black People Politics 0