BLACK HISTORY MONTH DISTORTED....

spicybrown

Oct 21, 2005
Whew......last month was Black history month. *crickets chirping*. My eight year old was bombarded with Rosa Parks, and MLK. Now I respect the struggle they endured, and appreciate the road they paved for Blacks. My daughter came flying off her school bus one day after school and said: "MOMEEEEEE, WE WATCHED MARDA LUTHA KEEEEEENG TODAY IN CLASS". I asked what the movie was about, and she said: " they marched and got sprayed with water hoses". I also asked what they learned about Rosa Parks. She stated that: "Rosa Parks didn't give her seat to a white boy, and she went to jail, after that Black people were allowed to sit on the front of the bus"! Is this all that our youngins are learning about our history in America?!?! This is why it is important to teach them Black History at home, a history which goes further back than a slave ship, and beyond JayZ and Beyonce. What are you all teaching your children about their rich culture/history? How are you breaking it down to them?

ibrahim

Sep 17, 2005
Ghana, West Africa
Occupation
Student
Black history month was recently declared as a day for prayers, getting together and leanring our history and pouring libation in honour of our ancestors here in Ghana.

And yes, i agree with you. Black history should be taught at home.
Courtesy begins at home.

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Sorry to disagree on this one. Black History should not just be taught at home. The problem we have is in studying the movements that took place and who was at the forefront of them. We as parents know that the majority of the teachers in our schools are black. As long as we allow...yes, "ALLOW", those teachers and the system to dictate "what black history" our children should or should not learn, nothing will ever change. I spoke about this in my first book.

It is during Black History Month that we need to be out there with our children protesting in front of those very same schools concerning the subject matter our children are being taught during that month...as well as having an agenda to make it more than a month. I mean, how long are we going to settle for that !??

Every day of that little short month, they need to be in the school auditorium watching films that cover the long legacy of who we are and what happened. What is that, an hour and a half of their time? Then they need to be in the classroom hearing various tapes of scholars who have contributed to the uncovering of our history that was distorted. What is that, another hour and a half ?

By this time, some student is going to come up with the idea of having a "black history club". Oh yeah, they think like that ! I'm just mentioning this to show you the ease and non radical approach that can be taken with results that we can't even see yet. So what's the problem !?? Can I make it any easier than this? Do we not even have the gumption to act as passively as this for the sake of our children and their future !??

Sure, learning at home is always there, but at the same time we should not neglect to change or alter in the system what we can when it doesn't threaten your life. This needs to be a national agenda and one which I see as very possible. I mean, d@mn...are we really that dead as a people that we can't see the over all effect of something as simple as this ??

daroc

May 16, 2004
i have to agree wit Keita... as much as it should start at home, knowledge should always be nurtured. From personal experience, my mother was never adimt about speaking about black culture, and nor my father in regards to my puerto rican heritage. I learned everything from my mentors and Black Student Alliance in high school. As a result, I joined such clubs and changed their approach on BLack Hisotry Month. I remember we did the story about what if there were no black people... and the whites in our school did not beleive us. As we changed our agenda... it was obvious that more students became interested in learning.. and not just socializing. If a child does not have a strong parental relationship.. education and school is supposed to be an outlook for this. I think kids need to come home and teach their parents a few things...now and days

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : First 24-hour news channel "by and for" African Americans set to launch during Black History Month Black People Doing Positive Things 8
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : How Black Lives Matter Is Changing What Students Learn During Black History Month African American History Culture 7
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black History Month: Republican's call to honor white people draws outrage African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Teachers Honor Black History Month With Stunningly Decorated Doors African American History Culture 25
IFE African American History Culture : Kids Address Alternative Facts For Black History Month [Video] African American History Culture 6
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : It's the first day of Black History Month African American History Culture 69
baller Black Poetry : Does Black History Month Mean as much as it Once Did? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
R Black Poetry : wow black history month is a joke unless the whites play their part here's what it should be Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : REV ALBERT CLEAGE profile black history month AACOOLDRE 3
IFE African American History Culture : Why We Must Continue To Recognize Black History Month African American History Culture 28
chuck Black People : How Are You Celebrating Black History Month?!? Black People Open Forum 7
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Sending the wrong message on Black history month AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black History Month: We carry the imprints of people and places African American History Culture 37
frankster Black People : White family demands apology for Black history Month. Black People Open Forum 4
OldSoul OldSoul : Paul Robeson - Black History Month Special OldSoul 3
chuck Black People : The Carter G Woodson Legacy: And The Origins Of Black History Month Black People Open Forum 2
shaka64 Black People : School celebrate Black History Month with fried chicken, cornbread & watermelon lunch Black People Open Forum 19
legit-writer Black People : Black History Month Lunch Menu Backfired Black People Open Forum 1
Blackbird Black People : Black History Month and Continental Africans Black People Open Forum 25
R Black People : Good News, Black History Month Promotion Black People Open Forum 4
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : History Month Black Life/furniture Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
noor100 Audio Video Web Conferencing : African Violet [for black history month] Audio Video Web Conferencing 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Ancestors : Black History Month: Why February? Honoring Black Ancestors 8
Sangofa Black People : UC San Diego condemns student party mocking Black History Month Black People Open Forum 5
Chevron Dove Black People : FEBRUARY: Black History Month & Much More...Valentine's Day or... Black People Open Forum 7
I Black People : I have grown to DETEST "Black History Month" Black People Open Forum 15
M Black People : I LEARNED BLACK HISTORY MONTH IS THE GREATEST IN THE CHAT LAST NIGHT Black People Open Forum 0
V Black History Month: Not just History for History Sake Black Parenting 0
river Destee Network : 10 Beautiful Black History Month Ecards Destee Network : 0
V Founder of Black History Month Forgotten Black Parenting 1
S Black Events : BLACK HISTORY MONTH ONLINE BOOK FAIR Black Events 0
G Black People : Honor Student denied Black History Month speech... Black People Open Forum 0
river Black People : Police at the Black History Month Program Black People Open Forum 3
river Special Black History Month Ancestor Series - Don't Miss Honoring Black Ancestors 5
S Black Events : Black History Month Weekly Film Series In Chicago Black Events 7
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : A primer to Black History Month AACOOLDRE 1
D US Soldiers in Iraq Celebrate Black History Month Honoring Black Ancestors 4
D Hate "Black History Month" too...another view Honoring Black Ancestors 5
D Black history month let the greater society know that we exist well in Canada too Honoring Black Ancestors 1
D African American Stories Online in Honor of Black History Month Honoring Black Ancestors 0
info-moetry Black People : ANOTHER SIDE OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH Black People Open Forum 9
M Black Poetry : BLACK HISTORY MONTH ON DOCTOR MARTIN LUTHER KING Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : BLACK HISTORY MONTH 2005 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 80
S Black People : Black History Month Coming Soon Black People Open Forum 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Black History Month week 3 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Black History month week 2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
A Black People : IN HONOR OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH… Black People Open Forum 3
O Black Poetry : Black History Month Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
naija-man Black People : BLACK HISTORY MONTH 1-Question Black People Open Forum 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Kicking off BLACK HISTORY MONTH Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12