African American History Culture : Black Future Month

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Black Future Month: Why We Choose to Look Ahead | Her ...

Black Future Month: Why We Choose to Look Ahead

Black Future Month, a term coined by the new black vanguard, seeks to build upon the robust legacy of our foreparents while refusing to nostalgically rest upon their laurels. Black Future Month affirms our collective history of struggle, resilience, and achievement, while centering our present predicament in all its urgency.

With all of the contributions of black people throughout our nation’s history, not to mention having a black man in the highest seat of decision-making authority in this land, many people believe that we live in a post-racial society, or a society where race is no longer a factor in determining our access to opportunities. Some have even questioned the continual need for Black History month.

But then, three years ago today, Trayvon Martin was shot and killed. His death stirred something in America’s consciousness and challenged the myth about living in a post-racial nation. And when Jordan Davis, another unarmed black teenager died several months later, the questions rose again. Unfortunately, over the last few years, we have seen more of the same—countless black men, women, and children killed due to police brutality or over-zealous citizenry taking the law into their own hands. 2014 was replete with them—Eric Garner, Dontre Hamilton, John Crawford, Mike Brown, and Tamir Rice.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
image.png

Dear friend,

Black Future Month is new way to look at the Black History Month tradition. At World Trust, we acknowledge that history is an ever-present component of the system of inequity that African Americans and all people of color face. Black Future Month is about honoring history while building on the momentum of 2014 and moving towards true racial justice in our lifetime.

In honor of Black Future Month we invite you to stream our ground-breaking film
Cracking the Codes and use it to have a conversation that matters.

• Rent online for $4.99
  • Insight into the role of History in perpetuating inequality
  • Understand Racial Inequity through a systemic frame and powerful story-telling
  • Individuals can stream right from our website - great for students, colleagues, family
  • Considering buying the DVD for your institution
STREAM CRACKING THE CODES FOR $4.99 TODAY
Celebrate Black Future Month with me and start your conversation today.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
BLACK FUTURE MONTH 3016: 4TH ANNUAL AFROFUTURISM ART EXHIBITION

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Presently in its fourth year, the Black Future Month 3016 Art Exhibition is the longest consecutive annual Black art exhibit in Toronto. The overarching theme of the fourth Annual Afrofuturism Art Exhibition is exploring the infinite ways of beings in the far-off distant future as envisioned by Black people over the spectrum of a 1000 years from now.

Black Future Month 3016: 4th Annual Afrofuturism Art Exhibition ...
www2.ocadu.ca/.../black-future-month-3016-4th-annual-afrofuturism-art-exhibition - 40k -

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Are we losing our youth away from Black History? Or are they on to something new?

I'm doing a FB page on Black History. After reading about Black Future Month, I decided to combine the two.

Black History Forward includes the Prison Industrial Complex coming from the chain gang during slavery/Jim Crow. Includes Prison Labor.

Not sure where this Black Future Month is going. Will it catch on? On my FB page it was simple enough to combine the two. There's nothing new.

I think what concerns me about this Black Future Month is that those, our youth and others, that support it seem to believe that what's happening today is new.

What do you think about this new movement - Black Future Month.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Another reason Black History Forward concerns me is some of our youth are ashamed of Slavery and have found something to replace the raw ugliness of slavery.
After seeing those online I read as much as I could. It caused me to change the direction of my FB page. This was a different audience.
When my grandson visited I asked him "what do you know about slavery". He looked away, embarrassed, he even bowed his head. I felt like crying. He's lives in NC.

When I posted this pic on FB. I got 25 likes. The most so far. When I posted more on BHF there were a few likes. Non on BH.
image.jpeg

When a posted this pic, nothing.
image.jpeg

I want to continue the FB page, but I wonder if they can accept the raw images, stories of slavery, or will they just wait for the next most acceptable nice post.
I've started posting less regularly. One day I mix BH with BHF. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if the raw pictures, some I've seen on this site today, will have any impact or have our youth decided to not study Slavery.
My FB page is open to friends, family, their friends and family. Some I know, some I don't. Most I don't know. It's pretty large.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black America Steels Itself for Obama’s Departure and a Future Under Trump Black People Politics 6
chuck Black Entertainment : Black To The Future: What Are Your Takes On Today's Black Science Fiction Movies? Black Entertainment 0
Chaya Chaim Black Hebrew Israelites : Israelites/black future..returning to Zion video Black Hebrew Israelites Study Group 0
Liberty Black People Politics : “Black Americans for a Better Future” Super PAC 100% Funded by Rich White Guys Black People Politics 0
LookingForward Black People : Future Of Black People Black People Open Forum 2
chuck African American History Culture : Black To The Future! African American History Culture 0
KingSango Black People : Engineering the future of our Black Youth fine as Audi A7. Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Detroit's Present: Black America's Future? Black People Open Forum 5
Ankhur Black People : ANY Future for Black studies in Public Schools, when Corporations Control?? Black People Open Forum 17
Ankhur Black People : UCLA high tuitions, the future nationaly? support BLACK COLLEGES Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Why do Black People Need a Future? Black People Open Forum 11
G Black People : "For Our Future" award--a good black man Black People Open Forum 0
U Destee Network : Protect and Power Our Black Childern's Future Destee Network : 2
C Black People : Black Afrikans Has No Knowledge Of Need Black People Open Forum 0
Discerning Black People Politics : Older Black Voters are doing their part Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is A Difference In Black Afrikan American And Black Afrikans In America Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Problem With Black Folks Is Black Folks Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Kristen Welker made all Black women proud tonight Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Our Black Party Black People Politics 0
C Black People : There Is No Victory For Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
Don Fletcher Black Poetry : Black Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : New book reveals Malcolm X secretly met the KKK to discuss setting up a ‘separate state’ for Black Americans Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Ice Cube Helped Develop a New ‘Black Trump Platform’ and Fans Are Calling Him Out Over It Black People Politics 14
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Killer Mike's majority Black and Latino owned online bank already has 'tens of thousands' on the waiting list Black Money Business Jobs 0
C Black People : The Mind Of Black Afrikan Americans Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : BLACK PARADE- Beyonce by Jene Marie Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : JPMorgan Chase is making a $30 billion commitment to help address U.S. wealth in equality, in underserved Black and Latino Communities Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : LACK OF SUPPORT FOR DEMOCRATS ( BLUE STATES ) IS BECAUSE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT TO HELP THE BLACK ( DEMOCRATIC ) COMMUNITY Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : What it means to be Black in Brazil Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikans Must Learn Again Black People Open Forum 0
SwagII Black People Politics : The Black Experience is Still a Tragedy, Yet Some Blacks Support Our Oppressors! Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Blatant disregard and disrespect of Black people': Virginia district apologizes for segregated schools - 53 years later Black Education / Schools 0
C Black People : A Disorganized Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : Black Afrikan Sacrifice Black People Open Forum 0
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : Don't Forget, The BIBLE is the ULTIMATE Black History book Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Al D Black People : The black-owned coffee firm that became a bestseller Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People Politics : JOE BIDEN’S AGENDA _ FOR THE BLACK COMMUNITY Black People Politics 4
C Black People : If Black Lives Matter Is So ProBlack Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Black Leaders Discussion feat. Angela Davis, Kwame Ture & Fannie Lou Hamer (1973) Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : ?Did Black Women Author The Bible? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Pull Out of the Kentucky Derby? Pressure on a Black Owner Mounts Black Sports 1
C Black People : Are There Any Black Afrikans Interested In Freedom? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 19 Black families purchase 96 acres of land to create a 'safe haven' for Black people Black People Doing Positive Things 3
A Black People : Gossiping about Black Folks. Black People Open Forum 2
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK MAN WINS INNOVATIVE PATENT Black Money Business Jobs 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : BLACK PANTHER STAR DIES OF CANCER Black Entertainment 2
C Black People : The Black Vote Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Decolonizing Dermatology: Why Black and Brown Skin Need Better Treatment Black Health and Wellness 0