Black People Politics : Black Consciousness vs Christianity – Part 1.

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
(ThyBlackMan.com) Is it possible to have a Black consciousness and be a Christian? Are the terms contradictory? Is “Conscious Christian” an oxymoron? I can hear some of you now, saying, “Uh oh, Jim, you are in deep water with this topic.” That’s fine; this column has not survived for nearly twenty-three years without some controversy or my being afraid to walk on thin ice every now and then. Don’t worry; I can swim.

After hearing an interesting conversation on the Carl Nelson radio show (1450 AM in the DC area or woldcnews.com) regarding the question of “Conscious Christianity,” and after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to dive into the deep end of the pool. A very touchy topic for sure, but no matter which side you may support, it is an important subject and just might clear up a few issues in our minds. Additionally, as our knowledge increases, I trust it will bring us closer together and cause us to organize around practical economic principles. The fewer schisms that exist among Black folks, the better things will be.

This missive is couched in 20th century parlance and the actions of folks most of us can relate to or have read about, some of who are still alive today. It is also based on the contention by some in the conscious community that many Black Christians worship a “White Jesus;” therefore, they cannot really have a “Black consciousness.” Hmmm.

2015-steve-biko-225x300.jpg

A working definition of “consciousness” is appropriate here. There are several from which we could choose, but let’s use Stephen Biko’s definition, which emanated from W.E.B. DuBois’ “Double Consciousness” treatise. Biko was the founder of the Black Consciousness Movement in South Africa and was brutally tortured and killed by White police officers for advocating Black consciousness. Biko didn’t just “rap” about Black consciousness; he lived and died for it.

Read more

http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/02/black-consciousness-vs-christianity-part-1/

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Black Consciousness vs Christianity – Part 2.

(ThyBlackMan.com) Again, this is not an attempt to proselytize or to shape your thinking regarding religion or spirituality. Rather, this is an attempt to delve into a subject that is often brought up among Black folks and used to separate us instead of bring us together around practical economic/public policy solutions.

By example, in 1843, Christian minister and abolitionist, Henry Highland Garnet, gave an inspirational speech that shocked the delegates of the National Negro Convention. Known as the “Call to Rebellion” speech, in which Garnet encouraged slaves to turn against their masters. “Neither god, nor angels, or just men, command you to suffer for a single moment. Therefore it is your solemn and imperative duty to use every means, both moral, intellectual, and physical that promises success.”

In response, Frederick Douglass spoke out against the speech to the convention. Garnet responded to Douglass’ rejoinder but the convention did not sanction Garnet’s approach to abolition. To misunderstand the message here is to fall into that same trap of divisiveness; this is an attempt to build a bridge between “conscious” Blacks and Black Christians.

Can one be a Christian and also have a Black consciousness? This does not simply mean giving fiery sermons on Black consciousness but having no track record of doing anything to back up the rhetoric. It means doing the work that comes with being conscious. Last week’s column cited Garvey’s and MLK’s words to illustrate their
2016-Henry-Highland-Garnet.jpg
Black/Christian consciousness rhetoric, but they also have a voluminous record of working according to their beliefs in both areas.

Read more
http://thyblackman.com/2016/01/02/black-consciousness-vs-christianity-part-2/

NyneElementz

Apr 6, 2006
Myrtle Beach, SC
My opinion, there is no oxymoronic thing about being a conscious Christian. Most of my people of other paradigms disagree, of course, but I tend to believe that such is purely a social/group mindset. If you're not meeting the requirements of the clique, then you're just not conscious, and all without bothering to really make a true investigation of that person's character, reasoning, etc. Another reason for this nearly automatic judgement is because of what white people have done to the image of Christianity and Judaism. The bible's contents do not suggest that God was dealing with a white people exclusively, whether in the system of laws or the system of grace. But they tend to blindly link certain verses to white people without examination, and link events of slavery with Christianity, which in truth only show the sadistic and savage nature of white bigotry, not Christianity itself. Slavery, for instance, was ONLY allowed as a punishment for thievery or as a means to pay debts when you did not have money. Also, oppression as a way to treat others is forbidden by God. We were oppressed by white slavemasters; devils claiming to be Christians. And while Christians like me, who look at the whole matter, can divide the illusion of white authorship from the actual biblical contents, others who cannot tend to project hatred towards me because of my spiritual choice, not even realizing that they are causing division over another black-born paradigm called Christianity. But like others as conscious as me, we move forward, each trying to do our part to advance us all the same way Abraham handled things with those that were with him, attacking problems and finding solutions, while hoping to not be hated on by those outside of our paradigm that by global right we still call brothers and sisters.

Chaya Chaim

Feb 1, 2016
Osaphe breaks things down King James has been plagiarized by Edomites since the 1400s the book Genesis was a fallen angel named
Luamone/Enlil who told esau (who Enlil created with his sister who looks very similar to Semiramis & Ashtoreth aka Amimal-Adamu mockery of our forefathers and foremothers) to use his Angel brethren Enki to use their epic of Gilgamesh as inspiration for Genesis, he also goes by Satan or Enlil who's father/mother was Anu/Lucifer...

The most high isn't murderous, vindictive, or hateful ...the most high designed MANY worlds, galaxies, solar systems, and peoples .he loves and teaches never hates or demands slalom my brethren and sisters...I hold y'all enjoyed this post :)

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Liberty ... great topic ... though i'd rather read your opinion on this ... :wink:

I think if one is consciousness, they can see, hear, feel, etc. - more like a medical term

adjective: knowing and perceiving; having awareness of surroundings and sensations and thoughts
Example: "Remained conscious during the operation"

So yes, folk can be conscious and Christian, Muslim, Black, White, Male, Female, etc.

What say you Sister? :)

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Nov 15, 2020 - Topic: Black People Dont Want No white God Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - May 17th - 3 Massacres of Black People & The Supreme Court Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Consciousness Raising OnLine - HerStory: Black Women Athletes Re-view Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - June 16, 2019 - The Only Black Town of its Kind Black People Open Forum 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Black Consciousness and the Black Church- A Historical Theological Interpretation Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : Consciousness Raising - HerStory: Black Women Athletes Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Black Identity Extremist - Consciousness Raising Online Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
_NortheastGroover_ Black Relationships : Can Promiscuity and Black Consciousness/Afrocentricism mix??? Black Relationships 47
Ankhur Black People : The Power of Umoja and the Unity of Black consciousness Black People Open Forum 12
Omowale Jabali South Africa : "Black Man, You Are On Your Own!": Making Race Consciousness in South African Thought South Africa 0
C Black People : The Black Consciousness Community Is Filled With Scam Artists Black People Open Forum 10
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Self-Destruction Of Black Consciousness Chief Elder Osiris 1
C Black People : Why Is Vegetarianism So Big In Black Consciousness? Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom African American History Culture : "Day Of Black Consciousness" African American History Culture 1
Akilah Black People : "Black Consciousness" Black People Open Forum 41
OmowaleX Black Ancestors : Steve Biko and the Legacy of the Black Consciousness Movement Honoring Black Ancestors 8
N Black People : Black Consciousness IQ Test Black People Open Forum 1
N Pan Africanism : Black consciousness African American History Culture 3
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Data Proves It: Black People in America Are Not Even a Demographic Monolith African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Racism causes high infertility in Black women Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : This Black Family Ran a Thriving Beach Resort 100 Years Ago. They Want Their Land Back African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Power Rankings Sunken Place Edition: Top 10 Black Folks who’ve lost the most since Donald Trump left office Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : Black Queen Charlotte Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : yeah black history is a whack mystery and my back still blistery from being whip lashed , ready to grip some cash and run to the underground railroad Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH Black Entertainment 29
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 'African Gene Theory' Is a Myth, and It's Harming Black Men's Heart Health Black Health and Wellness 0
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black On The Bottom Policies - Tariq Rasheed Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Barack Obama opens up about the difficulty of 'being a functioning Black person in America' in surprise appearance Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Feeling politically powerless, black Christians find more comfort in black church: study Christian Study Group 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Women Aren't Saving America For You. They're Protecting Themselves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : For Black Americans, a Heritage Trip to West Africa Can Be Life-Changing Black Travel 0
Kemetstry African American History Culture : THE BLACK SPARROW African American History Culture 2
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black In America Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black female scientist at forefront of COVID-19 vaccine development Black People Doing Positive Things 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Joy Reid nails the difference between white and Black people after Capitol riots Black People Politics 4
Destee Pets / Animals : Black the Rottweiler - playing with his toy Pets / Animals 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : America has an urgent need for Black doctors: 'It's hard to be what you can't imagine' Black Health and Wellness 0
One-Hundredd Black Entertainment : Jewels of Wisdom found in GTA 5's Black protagonist Franklin Clinton Black Entertainment 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Kwanzaa Is Not ‘Black Christmas’—Here’s What It Actually Is (And How We Celebrate) Black People Open Forum 2
Discerning Black People Politics : Black People: Know your REAL enemy Black People Politics 14
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : "Elijah Muhammad was the greatest psychologist that Black people ever created, bar none" Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Parenting : The reality of Black men's love lives and marriages is very different than what's usually shown on TV – I spent years actually talking to them Black Parenting 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : A Black Student's Mother Complained About 'Fences.' He Was Expelled Black Education / Schools 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED ATH;ETIC BRANDS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black Native American descendants fight for recognition African American History Culture 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : New Book Claims the Destruction of Black Relationships Is 'America's Unrecognized Civil Rights Issue' Black Relationships 0
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK OWNED HAIR CARE PRODUCT LINE IN NEIMAN MARCUS Black Money Business Jobs 0
Fine1952 Black People : The Black Tax - *Black Lives Still Don't Matter* Black People Open Forum 25