Black People Politics : Ben Carrington - The Global White Sports/Media Complex and the Politics of Sport

RAPTOR

Sep 12, 2009
Some background info:​
Professor Ben Carrington was born in Woolwich, south London and grew up in Thamesmead. He taught the sociology of sport, popular culture and race at the Chelsea School, Brighton University from 1997 until 2004. In 2004 Ben left England and took up a position in the Department of Sociology at the University of Texas at Austin where he has worked ever since. He is widely regarded as one the world’s leading scholars on the sociology of race and culture, especially in relation to sports culture.

Orisons

Jan 14, 2005
London in the United Kingdom
Occupation
Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
The FA is the Soccer Football Association here in the UK with this post being my response to the manner in which a sometimes nasty but very talented Uruguayan soccer star has been treated by them for biting [he didn't draw blood] another player.
Why is Racist behaviour STILL AUTOMATIC in the UK’s Institutions like the FA?
morrissey9;27986762 said:
Terry did say something actually, it was the intent side of it that caused the court case to collapse, but the FA still found such language inappropriate.
morrissey9;27986762 said:
As for the biting, a ban of some sort is reasonable, not sure a whole season is justified really, mainly because comparing it to bans other players have received for various assaults it would be way over what has happened in the past.
People have punched other players, headbutted them, pushed referees to the ground causing lasting injuries, kung-fu kicked members of the crowd, the list goes on really.
People have had less than 10 match bans for a crunching knee-high tackle that has effectively ended someone's career.
Now I am not saying these things are acceptable, of course not, but if you ban someone for a season for a bite on the arm then you need to ban people for several seasons for assaults which cause lasting damage.
EXACTLY!
Is there a specific reason why prominent public figures in general, Sportstars in particular, even somewhat racist non-white ones like Mr Suarez have to be crucified for poor behaviour in the heat of battle/the game, that hasn’t seriously injured or harmed anyone?
Suarez has apologised to Ivanovic [who has probably had his rabies shots by now] and the Chelsea team, his own teammates, club and supporters, what more is he supposed to do, to stop this Witch hunt?
This furore with the FA totally capitulating to being publicly pressured to severely punish an offence their referees didn’t even see [isn’t Suarez more of a nasty, niggling nuisance than a career ending hatchet man] is reminiscent isn’t it, of the RANTING vitriolic fervour that was directed at Tiger Woods for being a somewhat rampant TIGER, in stark contrast to the goody goody married family man image he’d very successfully projected and promoted in the mass media?
What would happen to Mr Suarez or Woods had they executed [pumped 4 bullets into] a white woman girlfriend in their house which is what Mr Pistorious [the South African Blade Runner] has done, hasn’t he, and he’s still miraculously managed to get bail and even the freedom to travel abroad and compete?
Would Suarez or Woods EVER get out of jail if either of them had ever found themselves in similar circumstances to those Oscar Pistorious is so obviously going to walk away a free man from, [OJ’s escape was a never to be repeated fluke] isn’t he?
I was waiting for the mass media to start baying for Oscar Pistorious’s blood in a similarly enthusiastic manner, whereas aren’t I fortunate I didn’t hold my breath?
Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed;
graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chyko Black People Politics : Current News USA Today: Ben Carson Ruthlessly Mocked For Opening White House Cabinet Meeting With Prayer Thanking God For Trump Black People Politics 1
Senegal Black People Politics : Ben Carson Actually Said Something..... Black People Politics 12
jamesfrmphilly Black People : ben-carson-stuck-in-elevator in affordable housing Black People Open Forum 3
R Black Poetry : HE SAID: Some of these girls begin to carry BEN AND JERRY ice cream // It's free today be a nice que Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
LookingForward Black People Politics : Dr. Ben carson Black People Politics 22
Liberty Black People Politics : 4 Reasons Why No Sane Black Voter Should Be Voting for Ben Carson Black People Politics 15
Liberty Black People Politics : Ben Carson Political Ad Rap Video to African Americans Ben Carson 2016 Presidential Campaign Ad Black People Politics 4
Liberty Law Forum : Deputy Ben Fields Slam And Drag Teen Girl That Wasn't Resisting Arrest At Spring Valley HS Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 140
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Comedy: Ben Carson Loses Brain Surgeon License After Making Numerous Brainless Comments Black People Open Forum 7
Liberty Black People Politics : The Joke About Mrs. Ben Carson’s Appearance Is No Laughing Matter Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Ben Carson’s great betrayal: How he ignores history in favor of the Republican Party Black People Politics 101
Liberty African American History Culture : Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan on Gil Noble African American History Culture 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Ben Carson: Black Lives Matter Is ‘Bullying’ People Black People Politics 19
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Who was Gov. Ben "Pitchfork" Tillman of S.C??? AACOOLDRE 0
chuck Black People : Young Black NBA Star David West Pays For Dr. Ben's Furneral Black People Open Forum 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Ben Carson Attack on dem Gays AACOOLDRE 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : Dr ben transitions....mar 19/2015 Black People Open Forum 10
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan - The African Origin of Christianity Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
jamesfrmphilly Black People : dr ben appeal on facebook....... Black People Open Forum 13
cherryblossom Black Men : Ben Underwood: The Boy Who Saw Without Eyes Black Men 1
RAPTOR African American History Culture : The Concept Of Maat Understanding Alkebulan - Dr. Ben Jochannan African American History Culture 0
S Egypt : "Nubia Mother Of Egypt", 2 hr Lecture by Dr. Ben Jochannan Egypt 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Would Ben Carson hack it in politics? Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Dr. Ben Carson for President? 'I'll Leave That Up to God' Black People Politics 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Dr. Ben - Nubia, the mother of 'Egypt' Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
SeekingMaat Pan Africanism : Online journal Tribute to Dr Ben - 95th Earthday December 2012 African American History Culture 4
S Black People : Gil Noble interview with Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke Black People Open Forum 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Like It Is with Gil Noble (Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke) Part 1 Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black Men : Dr Ben returned to the hospital Black Men 0
S African American History Culture : At The Feet Of The Grand Masters: Dr. Ben, Dr. Clarke, Dr. Jackson African American History Culture 9
Indigo Blues Black People : Dr. Ben Carson Black People Open Forum 2
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Ben E. King Black Entertainment 2
Ankhur Black People : 13 milion no unemployment ben., after Wall street gets bailed out with 1.5 Trillion Black People Open Forum 4
I Black Entertainment : Ben Harper - Amen Omen Black Entertainment 0
L Black Entertainment : Ben Chavis - New Movie Review Black Entertainment 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Ben in Kemet (Pt.4-5) Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Ben in Kemet (Pt. 1-3) Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Ben, Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Clark-pt.8-13 Black People Open Forum 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Ben, Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Clark-pt.1 Black People Open Forum 9
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Black Man Must Wake Up, Part 1 - 5 Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black Spirituality Religion : Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan - Bible Personalities Pt.1 Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
Keita Kenyatta Black Spirituality Religion : Dr. Yosef ben-Jochannan - Adam & Eve Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
I Black People : A DR ben update, Our Baba has been moved Black People Open Forum 4
Knowledge Seed Black People : Dr. Ben is a 360 degree Mason? Black People Open Forum 111
I Black People : Dr. Ben is Very ill and needs our help! Black People Open Forum 14
Ra Nehem Black Spirituality Religion : Transcript: jesus/yeshua ben pandira never existed Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 10
I African American History Culture : Masonry,sex,Osiris, and algebra according to Dr.Ben. African American History Culture 2
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Dr. Yosef ben Jochannan now playing in Chat Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Y'shua Ben Pendara -- African Freedom Fighter Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
T African American History Culture : yashuah ben-pandara African American History Culture 2