Black Positive People : Baltimore Big Brothers Program Sees 3,000 Percent Increase

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
4MAY2015
Baltimore Big Brothers Program Sees 3,000 Percent Increase in Mentorship Requests
posted in Children, Community, News, Organizations, Philanthropy, Protests, Teens, U.S. by goodblacknews

Big Brothers of Baltimore announcing that inquiries were up 3000 percent in 36 hours following unrest. (Photo: BBBS GREAT CHESAPEAKE)

In just 36 hours, following shocking television images of youths rioting in the streets, the Baltimore chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America has received the largest surge in mentor applicants in the organization’s history — a whopping 3,000 percent increase.

That spike in interest is unprecedented, President and CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake Terry Hickeytold NBC News.

“To have people reach out and say, ‘I want to make a commitment for the next year of my life spending every week with a young man or woman,’ is blowing my mind actually,” said Hickey.

The organization has received over 500 mentor inquiries in the past few days, compared to the usual four to five inquiries a day.

“I was worried people would see the images on TV of young people looting… you don’t know how people are going to react to the image of young teens running through the streets,” Hickey said. “But people are having their own epiphany, they are saying, ‘It just dawned on me that by being an adult in one kid’s life I can make a real difference.'”

Hickey attributes this realization to all of the young people he has seen interviewed in the media expressing that they do not have adults in their lives who they feel listen to them and who they can trust.

“I’m hoping this means people aren’t about blaming kids for what’s happened, but are recognizing that mentoring needs to be right up there at the top of the list when you talk about building communities,” he said.

Interest in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program surged after protests erupted in Baltimore in response to the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray who was killed in police custody.

Baltimore City State’s Attorney, Marilyn Mosby, announced Friday that Gray’s death was ruled a homicide and other charges would be brought against the six Baltimore police who had contact with Gray.

In the past, Hickey said, it has been hard to recruit a significant number of volunteers, leaving more than 600 children in Baltimore city on the organization’s waiting list. The increase in mentors will help remove some of these children from the waiting list.

According to a press release from Big Brothers Big Sisters, national research found that after 18 months of spending time with their “Bigs,” Little Brothers and Little Sisters were 46 percent less likely to use illegal drugs, 27 percent less likely to begin using alcohol, 52 percent less likely to skip school and 33 percent less likely to hit someone, as compared to those children not in the program.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake — which includes Baltimore — founded in 1952, is the oldest and largest youth mentoring organization in the State of Maryland.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : baltimore-cops-in freddie-gray-case face internal-discipline Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
freddie419 Law Forum : will Baltimore die? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : baltimore-officers-accused-of-robbery Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : charles-barkley-belittles-baltimore-woman-whose-son-was-choked-to-death-by-cops Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : justice dept v baltimore PD..... Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
R Black People : Jamal Bryant asked to leave the city of Baltimore by activist Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Law Forum : Study shows Baltimore tweets most slurs against African Americans Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : And Our Children Shall Lead Us: 16/17 Year Old Chicago/Baltimore Youth Demands Change Black People Politics 47
Liberty Black People Politics : What happened to the ‘hero mom’ of Baltimore’s riots? Black People Politics 0
KMeister Law Forum : New shooting of unarmed black man by Baltimore police Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : 9 killed in baltimore over the weekend... Black People Open Forum 1
RAPTOR Black People : Food Stamp Suspension for Rioters? Baltimore Legislative Efforts Start Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Baltimore teenager smacked by 'hero mom' says he's learned his lesson Black People Doing Positive Things 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : Be More Baltimore Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : The Baltimore Six Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
n2deepthings Black People : Baltimore PD charged in Freddie Gray's Death Black People Open Forum 5
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : The Baltimore Blaze Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
RAPTOR Black People : Baltimore Riots: Mom Smacks Son for Participating Black People Open Forum 29
jamesfrmphilly Black People : the fight for truth on the ground in baltimore.... Black People Open Forum 22
shaka64 Black Education / Schools : Baltimore City School Teacher Gets Into A Fight With A 17-Year-Old Student!! Black Education / Schools 12
shaka64 Black People : South Baltimore man accuses city cop of assault, false imprisonment (VIDEO) WMAR Staff Black People Open Forum 0
S Black Picture Image Gallery : Trackwomen, 1943. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company, 1940 - 1945 Black Picture Image Gallery 1
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : Congratulation BALTIMORE RAVENS NFL 2012-13 CHAMPS Black Sports 26
ManicRaider Black People : Baltimore Protest Calls For Economic Justice Black People Open Forum 0
Amnat77 Black People : Baltimore’s Black Male Students Show Improvement Black People Open Forum 2
G Black People : Black Wax Museum- Baltimore MD-The Symbol of the Lynch Rope...and then some Black People Open Forum 2
G Black People : Destee-Request Permission to post pictures from the Black Wax Museum in Baltimore, MD Black People Open Forum 3
Destee Black People : Baltimore Rocking Black People Open Forum 10
R Black People : Baltimore City Mayor and mismanagement Black People Open Forum 0
blackeyes Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Petition Against Baltimore PDs Natural Hair Policy Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 3
D Black People : Baltimore park recreates first black shipyard Black People Open Forum 2
Bluewater Black Events : Battle of The Poets $500 Slam In Baltimore Black Events 1
Bluewater Black Events : Baltimore, MD: KRS-One to Audition Acts in Baltimore Black Events 0
Isaiah A HISTORY OF BLACK BALTIMORE Honoring Black Ancestors 2
P Black People : Baltimore Seeks to increase its Latino Population by granting housing grants! Black People Open Forum 9
R Black Poetry : Prevail with chemistry and like a retail shoe industrythis stuff abuzz with talks of a new ministrythat's a big boom aheadwhile you in the room li Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Angela22 Black Sports : Big Things for the Big Easy Black Sports 0
HODEE Black Poetry : Big Time Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Pets / Animals : How to have a big dog in the house without the house smelling like a big dog lives in it? Pets / Animals 5
Kemetstry Black Relationships : WHY THE DIFFERENCE IS SO BIG Black Relationships 2
HODEE Black People Politics : 6 big things the new Veterans Affairs chief will have to address Black People Politics 1
Kemetstry African American History Culture : LITTLE PEOPLE DID BIG THINGS African American History Culture 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Big Mac Attack Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The Big Bang Wasn’t The Beginning, After All Science and Technology 1
umbrarchist Black Entertainment : Oprah on Big Screen Black Entertainment 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Nigeria : Who Likes President Trump? In Africa, Nigerians are Big Fans of the Donald Nigeria 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : BIG 3 BBall league Black People Doing Positive Things 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : big-game-hunter-theunis-botha-crushed-to-death-by-dying-elephant Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : big-baller-brand Black Sports 7
Liberty Black Money Business Jobs : The Big Reason Whites Are Richer Than Blacks in America Black Money Business Jobs 4