Black Entertainment : Aspire TV: Magic Johnson

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Aspire: Magic Johnson's channel for black families

By FRAZIER MOORE

AP Television Writer / June 29, 2012
.....‘We have a big platform for African-American work,’’ Johnson told the gathered. ‘‘Family driven content, positive images of African-Americans — that’s what we want that platform for!’’
Big aspirations, indeed, as Aspire makes its debut. Initially it’s available in about 7 million homes and in 16 of the top 25 African-American markets (including New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Washington). It can be seen by some customers served by Time Warner Cable Inc. and by Comcast Corp., the nation’s largest cable operator, which is introducing the minority-oriented Aspire as part of an agreement struck with the Federal Communications Commission when Comcast purchased NBC Universal.
Aspire’s reach will grow to 12 million homes by year’s end, to 20 million to 30 million homes by the end of 2013, and to 40 million homes within two years, according to Johnson.
‘‘Focus groups told us African-Americans want more family content on TV,’’ he says a few hours before the party. ‘‘If they would have told me, ‘We don’t need another channel, there’s not an opportunity for you,’ we wouldn’t be sitting here.’’
Seated in a raised director’s chair whose exaggerated height seems made-to-order for the towering former L.A. Lakers point guard, Johnson is speaking with a reporter in an NBC green room during a busy day of meetings and media appearances.
‘‘I wouldn’t get into this if I didn’t feel there was an opportunity,’’ he goes on. ‘‘That’s what I do. I look for opportunities.’’
Johnson doesn’t dismiss the growing roster of other networks targeting black viewers.
‘‘BET dominates the young people and does a great job,’’ he says. ‘‘TV One skews a little older. We’re gonna skew older than both of them. Blacks want options; they want variety, like everybody else. There'll be enough viewers for all of us. So everybody wins.’’
He says Aspire is aiming for black families with a slate of enlightening and positive programming — the sort of fare that everyone can gather in the living room to watch, ‘‘the way I grew up,’’ Johnson fondly recalls.
Aspire will air movies, documentaries, music and comedy, as well as faith and inspirational programs.
Initially, the schedule consists of acquisitions, including long-ago series like ‘‘The Bill Cosby Show,’’ ‘'I Spy,’’ ‘'Julia’’ and ‘‘The Flip Wilson Show.’’ The network promises documentaries chronicling real-life events, people and places that shaped black history. Movies include ‘‘Shaft,’’ ‘'Bird,’’ ‘'Sarafina!’’ and ‘‘Lilies of the Field.’’
Eventually, Aspire plans to create its own programming. For that, Johnson hopes to tap black artists ranging from young up-and-comers to the likes of Spike Lee and Tyler Perry.....

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/2012/06...ck-families/Ol4EwioTuqMlRz1fbyFELO/story.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Poetry Critiques : utpoia; the nightmare we aspire to. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : One should not aspire the fruit either in this world or in the upper world for divine Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
A Black Poetry : Aspire Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
A Black Poetry : Aspire (w/pain) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
A Black Poetry : I Aspire Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
brown_h0rnet Health and Wellness : COVID-19 Fake Tests, The Magic of Compound Interest & Sylvia's Three Phases Black Health and Wellness 0
A Black Poetry : Magic of color Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : ‘Black Girl Magic’: 17 black female judges elected Texas county swear in, make history Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Black Spirituality Religion : ☪Black•Muslim• Islam¦Islamic and Indian Magic Squares, Pt1 Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Kemetstry Black Positive People : BLACK GIRL MAGIC!!! Black People Doing Positive Things 2
IFE Black Women : Black Girl Magic and Black Girl Rock - MeToo Founder Tarana Burk Black Women 3
IFE Black Women : Black girl magic Black Women 60
Senegal Black Sports : Magic and Isiah Share Grown Man Moment Black Sports 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : magic-johnson-is-now-in-control-of-the-la-lakers Black Sports 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Magic Johnson as Lakers president of basketball operations in stunning front-office shakeup Black Sports 2
S Black People : Magic's Cross DRESSING SON: Loses 100 Pounds Black People Open Forum 5
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Magic Sam - All Of Your Love Black Entertainment 0
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Magic Sam-I Feel So Good (I Wanna Boogie) Black Entertainment 1
RAPTOR Black People : Magic and his Guggenheim Partners: Is it deeper than Sterling's racists rants? Black People Open Forum 2
shaka64 Black Sports : Michael Jordan 54 points Magic Midsummer night 1988 RARE Black Sports 0
rapunzal24 Health and Wellness : Magic Johnson speaks about home HIV test Black Health and Wellness 3
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Magic Sam - What Have I Done Wrong Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Magic Slim & the Teardrops - Going to Mississippi Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
1poetsought Black Poetry : That Old Black Magic Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
river Black People : The Magic Negro Black People Open Forum 2
Destee Black Sports : Magic Johnson - Guggenheim Baseball Management - Owns The Los Angeles Dodgers Black Sports 7
Keita Kenyatta Black People : (You're Going To Love This !!)SPELL & SIDESHOW - 'BLUE MAGIC' Arlington Va. LIVE! Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Ted Wizard Mills the Voice of "Blue Magic" "What's come over me? & Tear it down. LIVE ! Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Grover Washington, Mr Magic Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
T Black Poetry : He's Got Magic Hands (confessions of a love-struck girl) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black Spirituality Religion : CIA Book Of Magic Spells Republished Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Bootzey RIP Mr. Magic Honoring Black Ancestors 2
D Black Poetry : Im The Magic Man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
PurpleMoons Black Entertainment : Having A Blue Magic Night Black Entertainment 150
P Black Spirituality Religion : New Year's Magic Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 42
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : The White Priestess of Black Magic Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
R Black Spirituality Religion : Animal Sacrifice in Magic Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 13
B Egypt : Need Advice on Egyptian Magic/Religion Books? Egypt 10
R Black People : Atlanta mayor and magic stick syndrome Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Da Magic in her day Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
D Black People Politics : Rush Limbaugh plays “Barack The Magic Negro” on his show Black People Politics 4
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : DARK MAGIC:Names and Symbols Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 36
OldSoul OldSoul : Black Magic Download!!!! OldSoul 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Black Magic and harry potter: Sunday Noon ET OldSoul 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : More on Magic AACOOLDRE 13
T Black Entertainment : Magic Black Entertainment 0
S Black Poetry : MAGIC Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : African South Magic - Rootwork Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 16
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : What is Egyptian Magic? AACOOLDRE 37
OldSoul OldSoul : The Magic Negro OldSoul 1