Nigeria : Are We In The States Of Nigerian/Igbo And Yoruba Ancestry

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
In 2002, Howshua Amariel Director of the Israel Chapter for the Yisraelite Organization of Unity (Y.O.U.), and rabbinic administrator & organizer in Israel was made a spokesman and representative for the Y.O.U. in Israel. And he also showed Hadane an Ethiopian Torah that is a family treasure of Rabbi Amariel's family which is believed to be 1500 years old and might prove their connection to the Ethiopian Jews.http://wikibin.org/articles/howshua-amariel.html

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
"Indigneous black slaves" were they real black people or just very dark indians. someone was telling me about these indigneous blacks and showed me a few pictures but they just look like very dark indians to me. i think he called them seminoles.
Howshua Amariel was born in a family of Native American Cherokee (Hispanic) they also share the distinctive belief on his Native American linage that they are descendants from the lost tribe of Ephraim that came originally from the Middle East around 2500 years ago to the Americas. The family celebrates all the Israelite holidays, keeps Shabbat, follows the laws of Kashrut, (dietary laws) and maintained the knowledge of the old Hebrew language. Thus Mr. Amariel has dedicated his life to the study of ancient Hebrew Torah.

“Identifying with the Black Hebrews, Amariel has a notebook full of leaflets, oceanography charts, genealogy maps, and linguistic analysis all pointing towards his conclusion; that one of the Judean tribes wandered through the Arabian Peninsula to Africa and established its own branch of Judaism there.”

Rabbi Howshua Amariel's quest went beyond proving to the State of Israel the genetic link between the Black Indians and their Jewish brethren. He also stated that many Africans are in fact Black Hebrews. As such, he is petitioning the Israeli government to grant them both the full right of return allowed to Ethiopian Jews. "There are millions of us, who want to return here to Israel. People say we are the lost tribe, but we are not lost, we know exactly who we are." After Amariel’s statements there followed several articles and additional DNA evidence from various members the Cherokee Nation which linked to the Jewish people. However, the belief that some Native Americans were a Lost tribe of Israel goes back for centuries and includes individuals like the 1782 President of the Continental Congress Elias Boudinot and Mordecai Noah, the most influential Jew in the United States in the early 19th Century.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
On Sept 9th 2006, during an event recognizing of the Ebos as a Jews, Rabbi Amariel presented Hi Ben Daniel, the spiritual leader of the Igbo Jews in Israel, with a plague of brotherhood as a symbol of the covenant between them to corroborate to together that was made originally with Martin Delany in 1838. And after receiving a rabbinical authorization of administration from the Y.O.U for the purpose of building a rabbinical coalition within the land of Israel, Rabbi Amariel began meeting with rabbis of different ethnicities in Israel to form an interracial board of rabbis (beth din) with local rabbis from different tribes now living in Israel.

Onyemobi

Jun 19, 2007
Washington DC MetropolitanArea
Occupation
Artist
They were a combination of both just as most of us today are a combination of both only further removed from both our native and african root cultures.

On another note, this is something i found today surfing the net. Not saying i agree or disagree with what is stated. Just sharing based on previous discussion..

The Igbo Jews of Nigeria are one of the components of the Igbo ethnic group. They are said to have migrated from Syrian, Portuguese and Libyan Israelites into West Africa. Historical records shows that this migration started around 740 C.E. According to amateur Historian and Forensic Science investigator Chinedu Nwabunwanne of Aguleri, who resides in Los Angeles and has researched this subject for more than 15 years at the UCLA libraries in Los Angeles, "Ibo Jewish migration started when the forces of Caliph Mohammed leader of Qaysi-Arab Umayyads of Syria defeated the Yamani-Arab Umayyads of Syria in 744 C.E. and sacked the Yamanis and their Jewish supporters from Syria.This initial migrants were the tribes of Gad, Asher, Dan, and Naphtali. Later, they were joined by Judean migrants from Portugal and Zebulonian migrants from Libya in 1484 and 1667 respectively. These six Israelite tribes constitute the House of Judah or The House Of Jacob. Moses mentioned their names twice when he blessed the children of Israel. The remaining six tribes not mentioned in this write up constitute the House of Ephraim or The House Of Israel."

Certain Nigerian communities with Judaic practices have been receiving help from individual Israelis and American Jews who work in Nigeria, out-reach organizations like Kulanu,[4] and African-American Jewish communities in America. Jews from outside Nigeria founded two synagogues in Nigeria, which are attended and maintained by Igbos.

Because no formal census has been taken in the region, the number of Igbos in Nigeria who identify as either Israelites or Jews is not known. There are currently 26 synagogues of various sizes. Some researchers estimate there may be as many as 30,000 Igbos practicing some form of Judaism.

Akwa Ibom and Cross River
The Annnag, Efik and Ibibio people of Akwa Ibom and Cross River States of Nigeria have had ancient religious practices that strongly resembled some of the Jewish Torah. These include their traditional sacrifice of animals (rituals) by the presiding male of each village, or of a group of villages, for purification, especially during times of sickness. According to Nair (1975), in early history of Nigeria, the Efik people (people of old Calabar Kingdom were often referred to as Efik Eburutu. Eburutu being a term that came into being as a result of the curruption of the word "Hebrew", and Ututu. Ututu being one of the early settlements of the Efik people in the coastal southeastern Nigeria. Hence, the Efik/Ibibio/Annang people were known in early history as being of Hebrews who settled in Ututu.

European missionaries arriving in their land in the early 1400s AD called their religious practices "traditional religion". However, they identify their religious practices and heritage with the Jews. They are believed to be members of the Northern Kingdom of Israel who left before the Babylonian captivity and migrated to the Efik/Ibibio/Annang land of Nigeria from Egypt via Ethiopia and Sudan. They have active synagogues in the area. Synagogue services (Shabbat Services) of this region of Nigeria can be seen on the Internet, including the YouTube website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Jews
What's funny is that of all of those groups that are mentioned (who are all interrelated peoples), none of their oral histories or even cosmogonies look anything like anything remotely Middle Eastern.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
What's funny is that of all of those groups that are mentioned (who are all interrelated peoples), none of their oral histories or even cosmogonies look anything like anything remotely Middle Eastern.
Keep in mind that the term "Middle Eastern" is basically a geographical reference and all "Middle Eastern" people out-migrated from "Africa" so please lets not get caught up on these westernized linguistic references which are a result of cultural imperialism because archaeological evidence proves the interrelatedness regardless of one's interpretation.

My reason for posting these lastest posts is to address some "beliefs" that some of us in the Diaspora have, so keep this in mind brother because thats what this is for the most part a discussion of the roots of Africans in the Diaspora, well...we have "christian" folks (whose ancestors were NOT "christian") who identify somehow as "israelites" then we have those who identify as "hebrew israelites" (who actually as this rabbi is proving are more of Phoenician descent) yet "israel" itself would be considered a "middle eastern" kingdom. A LOT of black folks in Diaspora relate as "lost tribe" of Israel problem is they got wrong which one. The other thing is that some taken to Diaspora were identical to some of these taken from the alledged Jewish Igbo communities even though not all Igbo were Jewish and not all Africans in Diaspora are of Igbo ancestry which means to those who claim "lost tribe" status the question remains FROM WHERE? and WHAT BIBLE did they adhere to??

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Were some of my ancestors--including the enslaved ones--here--from there-- Nigeria?

Yes...

But why did you ask that question?

And...

Merely being descended from such folk neither implies nor suggests any of their customs etc. got passed down to me and mine--their descendants...

On the other hand:

There were those who retained the knowledge etc., i e., some continued to be reflections of African religious practices, etc., a few paid dearly for it, and of course there were some forebears as well as their immediate descendants, etc., who refused to accept their inferior status, as well as were in the forefront of various folks resistance efforts...

Such is why I did and do believe we owe a debt of gratitude to the Black Seminoles--now called the Seminole Freedmen Descendants--whose legendary black resistance leader--John Horse--helped to free a lot of enslaved black people in the south--during what the history books call the Second Seminole War...

Not to discount the efforts of Vesey/Turner/Tubman/etc.

But black folk have hardly been alone via our past and present struggles for equality/freedom/justice in this present day nation...

FYI...

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
By the way, me (as well as the ancestral spirits) are elated that the descendants of Igbo people in the Diaspora are starting to reawaken. We have started an organization that we are developing to further aid this process. Check out http://igbodiasporasociety.wordpress.com/about/ as it continues to grow.

This site was deleted by the authors. Please let me know if there is a related site. I would like to add to my blog portal.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
This thread was a good Build while it lasted. Led me to further research which I shared elsewhere but I have to come back home to this one.

I have read reports stating that upwards of 70% of Afrikans in early Virginia were of Igbo/Ibibio ancestry.

Here is another part of that early ourstory.

http://www.eclectica.org/v5n3/hashaw.html

We are indeed a cultural "mix" and anytime u try to focus primarily on one group, another door opens.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
This thread was a good Build while it lasted. Led me to further research which I shared elsewhere but I have to come back home to this one.

I have read reports stating that upwards of 70% of Afrikans in early Virginia were of Igbo/Ibibio ancestry.

Here is another part of that early ourstory.

http://www.eclectica.org/v5n3/hashaw.html

We are indeed a cultural "mix" and anytime u try to focus primarily on one group, another door opens.

Interesting history site.

http://www.mississippitoafrica.com/blackrootsseeker/africanheritage/index.htm

The only thing I will add to thus is that Siuth Carolina genealogy can be problematic because many of our ancestors whose records state they were born in SC may have actually have earlier family origins in VA and NC. Or even Mass.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??