Nigeria : Are We In The States Of Nigerian/Igbo And Yoruba Ancestry

Chinelo

Third Eye Is Always Open
Oct 19, 2009
UNIVERSE
Occupation
Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
I think you're right. what i should have said was senegambians were the most prefered in the early part of the slave trade because of their rice growing skills and their ability to read and speak arabic, some of our people are showing up with sahelian ancestry,now i don't know how accurate these dna test are though. yoruba,fon and other tribes outside of the senegambian region were a small minority thats the reason voodoo or shango didn't take root in the united states unless you're talking about new orleans where slave were brought in from the caribbean. the reason why the united states had the least slaves, because they actually wanted slaves with skills, they didn't just want anybody like the caribbean. it helped them save money
Which is why brother x was right on point:

American slavery

So it was in that atmosphere that you and I arrived here. It was in the hands of that kind of people that you and I fell, in around the sixteenth century. When we came here as slaves, we were civilized, we had culture, we had a knowledge of science. They don't take a slave who's dumb—a dumb slave is not good, you have to know how to do something to be a profitable slave. This was a country that needed an agricultural system. They had no agriculture in Europe in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. What was the agricultural product, what farm product was Europe famous for? Tell me. You can't. They had none, they were growing weeds up there in Europe. The farm products, the agricultural system, existed in Africa and Asia. You had mastered the growing of cotton, you had mastered the growing of all of the farm products that are necessary to give a person a balanced diet, on the African continent. You were a master of woodcraft, metalwork, and all of these other skills; and it was this that they needed. They didn't need just someone with muscle to do work—they needed someone with skill. So they brought our people here, who were the fathers of skill, who had all of these skills. And they brought us here to set up an agricultural system for them, to weave their clothes and show them how to weave, and do the other things that make a civilization and society a balanced civilization and society.

So when our people got here—and they came here from a civilization where they had high morals; there was no stealing, no drunkenness, no adultery, fornication; there was nothing but high morals—when they got here, they found a country that had the lowest morals that existed on earth at that time, because it was peopled and run by prostitutes, by cutthroats, by criminals; and they created a society to fit their nature. And when our people came into that, they were shocked—they rebelled against it, they didn't want to stay here. In the first place, they had been tricked over here, put in chains and brought here, as history points out. Initially—there's a book called The Slave Trade by Spears, 1 in which it points out that one of the first slave ships to come here was piloted by an Englishman named John Hawkins, and John Hawkins's ship was called Jesus, the good ship Jesus. This was the boat that was used—it's in history—they used Jesus to bring them here. And they've been using him to keep you here, too. [Laughter]

When our people got here and found out what they had gotten into, they didn't want to stay. Many of them started looking for that ship that brought them here. The slaves had an old spiritual which they sang: "Steal away to Jesus, steal away home." You think that they were talking about some man that got hung on the cross two thousand years ago, whereas they were talking about a ship. They wanted to steal away and get on board that ship that was named Jesus, so that they could go back home on the mother continent, the African continent, where they had been tricked and brought from. But you've got poor Negroes today, who have been brainwashed, still sitting in church talking about stealing away to Jesus; they talk about going up yonder, dying, if they're going somewhere. Showing you how your mind is all messed up. They were talking about a boat.

Or, they used to sing a song, "You can have all this world, but give me Jesus." They weren't talking about that man that died supposedly on the cross, they were talking about a boat. "You can have this world"—this Western world, this evil, corrupt, run-down, low-down Western world—but give me Jesus the boat, [Applause] but give me the ship Jesus, so I can go back home where I'll be among my own kind. This is what the spiritual came from. But they've got it in the church today, and that old dumb preacher has your and my—yes, dumb preacher—has your and my mind so messed up we think that Jesus is somebody that died on a cross, and we sit there foaming at the mouth talking about "you can have all this world, but give me Jesus." And the man took all this world and gave you Jesus, and that's all you've got is Jesus.

Malcolm X

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Alot of Igbo Christians have such a poor sense of identity that they will literally pull things out of thin air to prove they have a connection to mythological Middle Eastern people.
I will take your word for it but the Marranos who were exiled from Spain after 1492 that relocated or were taken by Barbary slave traders to Morocco and the Guinea coast are not mythological "Middle Eastern people". They were very real as was the fact they were used as slave labor in Sao Tome while others were slave traders in the Niger River Valley.

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/black-jews-of-spain-and-benin-guinean-coast-part-1-oguejiofo-annu/

In 1694, the 17th Council of Toledo made all Spanish Jews slaves. They were shipped to the Island of Jamaica and Hispaniola. Others went to Sao Tome, Cabo Verde, and Mauritius. Many of them escaped the Spanish jurisdiction and began independent communes in the hinterlands or the mountains. The Spanish word “Marroons” is a play on their Spanish ethnic designation the “Marranos” (rather than “cimarron” root the conventionally accepted root).

Marranos (means Moorish Jews in Spanish) were the black Jews of Spain who ruled that country for 700 years with the black Muslims of Morocco, Senegal and Nigeria.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
I think you're right. what i should have said was senegambians were the most prefered in the early part of the slave trade because of their rice growing skills and their ability to read and speak arabic, some of our people are showing up with sahelian ancestry,now i don't know how accurate these dna test are though. yoruba,fon and other tribes outside of the senegambian region were a small minority thats the reason voodoo or shango didn't take root in the united states unless you're talking about new orleans where slave were brought in from the caribbean. the reason why the united states had the least slaves, because they actually wanted slaves with skills, they didn't just want anybody like the caribbean. it helped them save money
This is partially true because one reson "the united state had the least slaves" is because prior to Jamestown indigneous "black slaves" were killed off or sold into slavery in Europe (from "America") by the dutch and portuguese before the english became major colonists in "America".

In 1495, the Spanish, under the leadership of Columbus, rounded up 1,500 Arawak. They selected 500 to be exported to Spain as slaves, 500 to serve as slaves to the Spanish on the Island, and the remaining Indians were released. Columbus proudly boasted to the Spanish monarchs about the slave potential and its economic benefits. Columbus captured and exported more Indian slaves-about 5,000 -- than any other single individual. On the other hand, Spanish Queen Isabela opposed slavery and returned many slaves to the Caribbean. In addition to capturing the Indians as slaves, the Spanish also hunted the Indians for sport and slaughtered them for dog food. Columbus' legacy in Haiti is an example of 15th century genocide and slavery.

http://www.nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/332/american-indians-as-slaves

Onyemobi

Jun 19, 2007
Washington DC MetropolitanArea
Occupation
Artist
I will take your word for it but the Marranos who were exiled from Spain after 1492 that relocated or were taken by Barbary slave traders to Morocco and the Guinea coast are not mythological "Middle Eastern people". They were very real as was the fact they were used as slave labor in Sao Tome while others were slave traders in the Niger River Valley.

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/black-jews-of-spain-and-benin-guinean-coast-part-1-oguejiofo-annu/

In 1694, the 17th Council of Toledo made all Spanish Jews slaves. They were shipped to the Island of Jamaica and Hispaniola. Others went to Sao Tome, Cabo Verde, and Mauritius. Many of them escaped the Spanish jurisdiction and began independent communes in the hinterlands or the mountains. The Spanish word “Marroons” is a play on their Spanish ethnic designation the “Marranos” (rather than “cimarron” root the conventionally accepted root).

Marranos (means Moorish Jews in Spanish) were the black Jews of Spain who ruled that country for 700 years with the black Muslims of Morocco, Senegal and Nigeria.
I don't deny that some of them ended up in West Africa. However, to say that an entire tribe (such as the Igbo) is composed of them is not only crazy, its downright stupid.

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
I don't deny that some of them ended up in West Africa. However, to say that an entire tribe is composed of them is crazy.
I agree

e-forty

Sep 13, 2009
This is partially true because one reson "the united state had the least slaves" is because prior to Jamestown indigneous "black slaves" were killed off or sold into slavery in Europe (from "America") by the dutch and portuguese before the english became major colonists in "America".

In 1495, the Spanish, under the leadership of Columbus, rounded up 1,500 Arawak. They selected 500 to be exported to Spain as slaves, 500 to serve as slaves to the Spanish on the Island, and the remaining Indians were released. Columbus proudly boasted to the Spanish monarchs about the slave potential and its economic benefits. Columbus captured and exported more Indian slaves-about 5,000 -- than any other single individual. On the other hand, Spanish Queen Isabela opposed slavery and returned many slaves to the Caribbean. In addition to capturing the Indians as slaves, the Spanish also hunted the Indians for sport and slaughtered them for dog food. Columbus' legacy in Haiti is an example of 15th century genocide and slavery.

http://www.nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/332/american-indians-as-slaves
"Indigneous black slaves" were they real black people or just very dark indians. someone was telling me about these indigneous blacks and showed me a few pictures but they just look like very dark indians to me. i think he called them seminoles.

Chinelo

Third Eye Is Always Open
Oct 19, 2009
UNIVERSE
Occupation

Chinelo

Third Eye Is Always Open
Oct 19, 2009
UNIVERSE
Occupation
Black African-Americans are composed of two main groups of Blacks, those who were in the US and the rest of the Americas before Columbus and were enslaved due to the Church Edict of the 1440's, and those who were enslaved and brought from Africa after 1492.

The Black Californians or Black Mojave who lived in the hot parts of California. There were also other Black tribes and nations in California, including those who had a trading relationship with people in the Pacific Ocean.

The Black Californians fought with the Spanish, the Mexican Spanish and the Anglo-Americans up to the mid 1800's. Some were enslaved by the Californios and freed after slavery was abolished in California. Many others contined fighting and they were pacified. Many of the Black Californians went to live in the Cities among other Blacks while some went to Mexico.

Today, California's Black population is an indigenoius Black population in the same way that the Mexican populaton is indigenous. However, the Negro/Black population is also Aboriginal to California and the South West and since the Black race is basically as distinct as they were one thousand years ago to a greater extent than other peoples in California, one will not be able to tell who is of Black California ancestry and who is not. Both African-Americans and Black Californians are Africoid peoples.

Chinelo

Third Eye Is Always Open
Oct 19, 2009
UNIVERSE
Occupation
The region from Ohio to Mississippi and from California to Florida had a prehistoric and preColumbian Black population. There are many clues and pieces of evidence that show this to be true, including the fact that the descendants of one such group, the Wa****aw Nation is recognized as a distinct Black nation and is said to have once controled a significant amount of land in the Mississippi Valley.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/ancientamerica.htm

Recent discoveries in the field of linguistics and other methods have shown without a doubt, that the ancient Olmecs of Mexico, known as the Xi People, came originally from West Africa and were of the Mende African ethnic stock. According to Clyde A. Winters and other writers (see Clyde A. Winters website), the Mende script was discovered on some of the ancient Olmec monuments of Mexico and were found to be identical to the very same script used by the Mende people of West Africa. Although the carbon fourteen testing date for the presence of the Black Olmecs or Xi People is about 1500 B.C., journies to the Mexico and the Southern United States may have come from West Africa much earlier, particularly around five thousand years before Christ. That conclusion is based on the finding of an African native cotton that was discovered in North America. It's only possible manner of arriving where it was found had to have been through human hands. At that period in West African history and even before, civilization was in full bloom in the Western Sahara in what is today Mauritania. One of Africa's earliest civilizations, the Zingh Empire, existed and may have lived in what was a lake filled, wet and fertile Sahara, where ships criss-crossed from place to place.

ANCIENT AFRICAN KINGDOMS PRODUCED
OLMEC TYPE CULTURES

The ancient kingdoms of West Africa which occupied the Coastal forest belt from Cameroon to Guinea had trading relationships with other Africans dating back to prehistoric times. However, by 1500 B.C., these ancient kingdoms not only traded along the Ivory Coast, but with the Phoenicians and other peoples. They expanded their trade to the Americas, where the evidence for an ancient African presence is overwhelming. The kingdoms which came to be known by Arabs and Europeans during the Middle Ages were already well established when much of Western Europe was still inhabited by Celtic tribes. By the 5th Century B.C., the Phoenicians were running comercial ships to several West African kingdoms. During that period, iron had been in use for about one thousand years and terracotta art was being produced at a great level of craftsmanship. Stone was also being carved with naturalistic perfection and later, bronze was being used to make various tools and instruments, as well as beautifully naturalistic works of art.

The ancient West African coastal and interior Kingdoms occupied an area that is now covered with dense vegetation but may have been cleared about three to four thousand years ago. This includes the regions from the coasts of West Africa to the South, all the way inland to the Sahara. A number of large kingdoms and empires existed in that area. According to Blisshords Communications, one of the oldest empires and civilizions on earth existed just north of the coastal regions into what is today Mauritania. It was called the Zingh Empire and was highly advanced. In fact, they were the first to use the red, black and green African flag and to plant it throughout their territory all over Africa and the world.

The Zingh Empire existed about fifteen thousand years ago. The only other civilizations that may have been in existance at that period in history were the Ta-Seti civilization of what became Nubia-Kush and the mythical Atlantis civilization which may have existed out in the Atlantic, off the coast of West Africa about ten to fifteen thousand years ago. That leaves the question as to whether there was a relationship between the prehistoric Zingh Empire of West Africa and the civilization of Atlantis, whether the Zingh Empire was actually Atlantis, or whether Atlantis if it existed was part of the Zingh empire. Was Atlantis, the highly technologically sophisticated civilization an extension of Black civilization in the Meso-America and other parts of the Americas?

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
"Indigneous black slaves" were they real black people or just very dark indians. someone was telling me about these indigneous blacks and showed me a few pictures but they just look like very dark indians to me. i think he called them seminoles.
They were a combination of both just as most of us today are a combination of both only further removed from both our native and african root cultures.

On another note, this is something i found today surfing the net. Not saying i agree or disagree with what is stated. Just sharing based on previous discussion..

The Igbo Jews of Nigeria are one of the components of the Igbo ethnic group. They are said to have migrated from Syrian, Portuguese and Libyan Israelites into West Africa. Historical records shows that this migration started around 740 C.E. According to amateur Historian and Forensic Science investigator Chinedu Nwabunwanne of Aguleri, who resides in Los Angeles and has researched this subject for more than 15 years at the UCLA libraries in Los Angeles, "Ibo Jewish migration started when the forces of Caliph Mohammed leader of Qaysi-Arab Umayyads of Syria defeated the Yamani-Arab Umayyads of Syria in 744 C.E. and sacked the Yamanis and their Jewish supporters from Syria.This initial migrants were the tribes of Gad, Asher, Dan, and Naphtali. Later, they were joined by Judean migrants from Portugal and Zebulonian migrants from Libya in 1484 and 1667 respectively. These six Israelite tribes constitute the House of Judah or The House Of Jacob. Moses mentioned their names twice when he blessed the children of Israel. The remaining six tribes not mentioned in this write up constitute the House of Ephraim or The House Of Israel."

Certain Nigerian communities with Judaic practices have been receiving help from individual Israelis and American Jews who work in Nigeria, out-reach organizations like Kulanu,[4] and African-American Jewish communities in America. Jews from outside Nigeria founded two synagogues in Nigeria, which are attended and maintained by Igbos.

Because no formal census has been taken in the region, the number of Igbos in Nigeria who identify as either Israelites or Jews is not known. There are currently 26 synagogues of various sizes. Some researchers estimate there may be as many as 30,000 Igbos practicing some form of Judaism.

Akwa Ibom and Cross River
The Annnag, Efik and Ibibio people of Akwa Ibom and Cross River States of Nigeria have had ancient religious practices that strongly resembled some of the Jewish Torah. These include their traditional sacrifice of animals (rituals) by the presiding male of each village, or of a group of villages, for purification, especially during times of sickness. According to Nair (1975), in early history of Nigeria, the Efik people (people of old Calabar Kingdom were often referred to as Efik Eburutu. Eburutu being a term that came into being as a result of the curruption of the word "Hebrew", and Ututu. Ututu being one of the early settlements of the Efik people in the coastal southeastern Nigeria. Hence, the Efik/Ibibio/Annang people were known in early history as being of Hebrews who settled in Ututu.

European missionaries arriving in their land in the early 1400s AD called their religious practices "traditional religion". However, they identify their religious practices and heritage with the Jews. They are believed to be members of the Northern Kingdom of Israel who left before the Babylonian captivity and migrated to the Efik/Ibibio/Annang land of Nigeria from Egypt via Ethiopia and Sudan. They have active synagogues in the area. Synagogue services (Shabbat Services) of this region of Nigeria can be seen on the Internet, including the YouTube website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Jews

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

Feeling good today fam...just been reading a couple of books. I think Dennis Kimbro's "Daily Motivations for African American Success" is one of the best motivational books on the market. This book has motivation for each day of the year on each page and all of these relate to your own Blackness. No matter what you're experiencing there's something in that book you could draw from. ✊
Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love: