The Police : American Cops Now Steal More Property Than All US Burglars Combined

ceebee

Sep 23, 2015
From Activist Post:

For decades now, federal government and their cohorts in law enforcement have been carrying out theft of the citizenry on a massive scale. We’re not talking about taxes, but an insidious power known as Civil Asset Forfeiture (CAF).
In 2008, law enforcement took over $1.5 billion from the American public. While this number seems incredibly large, just a few years later, in 2014, that number tripled to nearly $4.5 billion.
To put this number into perspective, according to the FBI, victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $3.9 billion in property losses in 2014.
Full story: http://www.activistpost.com/2015/11/american-cops-now-steal-more-property-than-all-us-burglars-combined.html

ceebee

Sep 23, 2015
Full of links, I think the numbers speak for themselves.
I found this on reddit, so there is an intense conversation (5000+ comments)
and in particular a few addressing what we as the people can DO about this.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Full of links, I think the numbers speak for themselves.
I found this on reddit, so there is an intense conversation (5000+ comments)
and in particular a few addressing what we as the people can DO about this.

Is there any veracity to this? As far as you know, is this a part of the intense conversation on reddit?

GOP-led Congress rams civil asset forfeiture reform right down police unions’ throats

Yes, I am so totally assigning credit to the Republicans in Congress for this one. To recap the situation: civil asset forfeiture is when state and local cops seize stuff deemed to be part of a criminal case and then use it to eke out their own budgets. The situation is ripe for abuse, particularly since the rules used to allow cops to make a federal case out of it (state laws are much stricter on what’s a legitimate asset seizure than the federal laws are). But the Justice Department has stopped up the loophole that state and local cops were exploiting. Why? Because the new budget took away the money that the Justice Department was using for that program.

And yes, this was deliberate. From the DoJ letter explaining the new situation:

http://www.redstate.com/2015/12/27/civil-asset-forfeiture-congress/

ceebee

Sep 23, 2015
Wow, very timely. :)
There's a difference between civil and criminal forfeiture though;
and I can't see what removing money for forfeiture programs does,
as police departments seem to get substantial money *from* the
thefts, so are the departments going to be suffering losses of
funding from two sides?

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: