Black Entertainment : All Of The Places Weve Been - Gil Scott Heron

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
wonderful tune by Gil.. check out the words.

In my lifetime I've been in towns
where there was no freedom or future around.
I've been in places where you could not eat
or take a drink of water where ever you pleased.
And now that I meet you in the middle of a mountain
Well, I'm reaching out from within.

And all I can think of are chapters and scenes of
all of the places we've been.

I'm not such an old man so don't get me wrong.
I'm the latest survivor of the constantly strong.
I've been to Mississippi and down city streets,
I've seen days of plenty and nights with nothing to eat.
But I'm not too happy 'bout the middle of a mountain so
soon I'll be climbing again.

'Cause all I can think of are chapters and scenes of
all of the places we've been.

I was raised up in a small town in the country down south
so I've been close enough to know what oppression's about.
Placed on this mountain with a rare chance to see
dreams once envisioned by folks much braver than me.
And since their lives got me to the middle of a mountain
Well, I can't stop and give up on them.

'Cause their lights that shine on inspire me to climb on
from all of the places we've been.

From all of the places we've been,
From all of the places we.ve , been alot of places, yeah
From all of the places we've been,
Been down, been down, been down, alot of roads and places
All of the places...​

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
broke this one down on the Piano.. it's in the key of C..

most all of Gils stuff is relatively simple.. the music is just the backdrop
for his wonderful lyrical content and his unique delivery.. anyway.. I broke this one down
on piano.. it goes like this:

Verses:

CM7..............CM7
In my lifetime I've been in towns

.........FM7
where there was no freedom or

D-7....E-7......FM7...GM
fu - ture a - round.

(same as above)
I've been in places where you could not eat
or take a drink of water where ever you pleased.

......E-7..........................A-7
And now that I meet you in the middle of a mountain

...........FM7.....................D-7
Well, I'm reaching out from within.

.....CM7.......................FM7
And all I can think of are chapters and scenes of

D-7...E-7...FM7....GM..............Amin7.
all.....of....the .....places we've been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fine1952 Black People Politics : Crooks In High Places Black People Politics 5
R Black Poetry : Emotions strong and like oceans roam in wet places while he get laces at home alarm is the reason in a girl's arm every season, the worst is fear then Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
DigitallyBlack Food Discussion : Food Places in Los Angeles Food Discussion and Recipes 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Artist places Harriet Tubman on $20 bills, despite Trump's ambivalence African American History Culture 2
Writspirit Black People : Check out Sacred Places Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : Sacred Places Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : Spirituality: Show - Sacred Places with Bethelle Jay Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Black History Month: We carry the imprints of people and places African American History Culture 37
OldSoul OldSoul : Places to visit in Black World OldSoul 2
chuck African American History Culture : Our Places And Spaces Are Under Attack Too African American History Culture 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Ivanhoe Reservoir Covered With 400,000 Black Plastic Balls Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places:Bunda Cliffs in Australia: Is this the End of the World? Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places:Lauterbrunnen: The Valley of 72 Waterfalls Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Seagaia Ocean Dome: An Artificial Beach in Japan Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: The Mysterious Patomskiy Crater Black Travel 3
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Balos Beach, Greece Black Travel 0
Destee Black People : Do you go places you don't like - to tell them you don't like them? Black People Open Forum 33
shaka64 Black Education / Schools : Good places on the web to learn many things, free. Black Education / Schools 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People : NYPD places full body scanners on the streets Black People Open Forum 1
thePreacher Black Spirituality Religion : Spiritual Warfare in High Places Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Destee Black People : Known Places of Respectful Interaction Amongst Black People Black People Open Forum 3
HODEE Black Poetry : PROCESSES, places, PEOPLE and things Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God comes in human form in all places of the earth & in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
Destee African Traditional Religion : THE PRINCIPAL GEOGRAPHICAL AND MYTHOLOGICAL PLACES IN THE BOOK OF THE DEAD African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
Destee Black People : SLAVE DUNGEONS / PLACES OF MEMORY Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Non-white people in places of power. Black People Open Forum 4
watzinaname Black Poetry : Shadows, Unfamiliar Places, and Botanical Gardens Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
B Black Poetry : There is only us,Places in me you touch Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
L Black Events : When youre in holland and you wanna go out look for these places Black Events 8
P Black Poetry : Discolored Places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Heaven / Hell - Do You Believe There Are Such Places? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 69
Destee Black People : America's Best and Worst Places to Live? Black People Open Forum 2
Heartbeat Quiet Poetry Lounge : The Loving Places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Heartbeat Black Poetry : The Loving Places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
alyce Quiet Poetry Lounge : heavenly places Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
HODEE Black People Politics : Besides Executive Orders Trump Since October has been removing critical regulations and trying to pass so many controversial laws Black People Politics 4
C Black People : ****** And Negro You Have Been Had Black People Open Forum 1
HODEE Black People : Remdesivir Side Effects - What all was reported. Not FDA approved has been used in treatment of Covid ( China discontinued due to adverse effects ) Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : We Have Been Well Contitioned Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : You Have Been And Still Is Being Lied Too Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The true age of Earth's core has been discovered – and it's younger than previously thought Science and Technology 2
R Black Poetry : Her dress is up her breasts been sucked a boy could have the best of luck oh shucks but she ran away she didn't plan this today girl your body is galo Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Always been good with her hands and now comes with a hood plan expenses ate up the profit convinces her not to drop it like its hot so she stop kissin Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : Martin Luther King, Jr., "What Is Your Life's Blueprint?" This is the first time the speech has been published in its entirety. Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Law Forum : Chances of African Americans ( LIFE ) Historically have been Shaped by Race. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
R Black Poetry : He tried to fix his luck because he's mixed up and confuse been used like soap in a bathtub this is not a the path of love you can do the math in a cl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
G Law Forum : Third Man "William Bryan" Who Videotaped Ahmaud Arbery's Murder Has Been Arrested For Murder and False Imprisonment Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Why has the Tulsa Race Massacre been largely forgotten? African American History Culture 1
Ndugu Black People : Harriett Tubman House ; Community housing, and center , has been sold in Boston Black People Open Forum 2
R Black Poetry : this been a nation with a generation that parade in the club and has made love the focus of attention so like a locust in a dimension he's ready to ho Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1