Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Afro question

Ankh Meri Ra

Aug 24, 2014
Can all black people hair go into a fro?
I ask because my sister says that she could never get her hair in a fro.

Dez K

Jul 20, 2014
not all. I have cousins born with straight hair and they aren't mixed at all

MimiBelle

Dec 13, 2010
Texas...for now.
Occupation
RN-BSN
Nope.

Black hair is multitextured...even on a single head. Some hair is more kinky than curly and vice versa. Sometimes, hair just 'grows down'.
My natural hair doesn't really 'fro' right, either.

KPITRL

May 7, 2013
Anybody interested, do a search on my thread, "The Truth About the Afro", and it will cover everything you need to know about the Afro and how it relates to black people here and Africa...it answers the question and some. It covers more information than you will ever learn on Wikipedia. However my thread took a turn for the worst by someone who used to post here a lot. Although they left, I will not mention the name of that poster because it wouldn't help. I made a similar thread on another forum, and the same thing happened. But everybody eventually saw it my way, except one person, who also had emotional issues about the topic. Most of them were a lot younger than me, and weren't around when the hairstyle first came out like I was, and they couldn't relate to this rare truth I decided to share about the Afro. But on the other hand, that shouldn't have been no excuse for going off, once you take a little deeper look into the topic. Why some black people are aloud to voice their opinion about black hair while some aren't, or why some black people can't accept the truth about some hair, is a problem we have to work on someday as a people. I don't mind a debate with respect, but when people respond with emotional tantrums, like some that I mentioned, then that can become a problem.

But if you don't have time to read my thread, it's kind of a yes and no answer. I'll say no; but yes if you're willing to do risky things to your hair like a lot of us were secretly doing in the 70's, like myself. These things included platting, cornrowing, and teasing...teasing was the one that was dangerous to a lot of peoples hair in the long run. I did all three. However for some, some black men in particular, it took too long for their hair to grow long enough to do any of the three. Then some black people even wore wigs...our entertainers from the 70's were more prone to this. All along you couldn't get none of us, who had to do these things to keep our Afro's, to admit we were secretly doing them behind closed doors. That was because we were too busy being black and proud, and our Bush, which was the original name for the Afro, represented that. I even had that former member try to tell me we never called the Afro by it's original name, the Bush. If that person was serious, then my generation gap with her was much larger than I thought, or something else was going on. Anyway, these things are discussed in my thread. Everyone may not want to agree, but still an interesting read.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Anybody interested, do a search on my thread, "The Truth About the Afro", and it will cover everything you need to know about the Afro and how it relates to black people here and Africa...it answers the question and some. It covers more information than you will ever learn on Wikipedia. However my thread took a turn for the worst by someone who used to post here a lot. Although they left, I will not mention the name of that poster because it wouldn't help. I made a similar thread on another forum, and the same thing happened. But everybody eventually saw it my way, except one person, who also had emotional issues about the topic. Most of them were a lot younger than me, and weren't around when the hairstyle first came out like I was, and they couldn't relate to this rare truth I decided to share about the Afro. But on the other hand, that shouldn't have been no excuse for going off, once you take a little deeper look into the topic. Why some black people are aloud to voice their opinion about black hair while some aren't, or why some black people can't accept the truth about some hair, is a problem we have to work on someday as a people. I don't mind a debate with respect, but when people respond with emotional tantrums, like some that I mentioned, then that can become a problem.

But if you don't have time to read my thread, it's kind of a yes and no answer. I'll say no; but yes if you're willing to do risky things to your hair like a lot of us were secretly doing in the 70's, like myself. These things included platting, cornrowing, and teasing...teasing was the one that was dangerous to a lot of peoples hair in the long run. I did all three. However for some, some black men in particular, it took too long for their hair to grow long enough to do any of the three. Then some black people even wore wigs...our entertainers from the 70's were more prone to this. All along you couldn't get none of us, who had to do these things to keep our Afro's, to admit we were secretly doing them behind closed doors. That was because we were too busy being black and proud, and our Bush, which was the original name for the Afro, represented that. I even had that former member try to tell me we never called the Afro by it's original name, the Bush. If that person was serious, then my generation gap with her was much larger than I thought, or something else was going on. Anyway, these things are discussed in my thread. Everyone may not want to agree, but still an interesting read.

I agree with your post. My hair is fine, I couldn't get the natural kinky looking afro. I had to shampoo or wet my hair and roll it with small sponge rollers. When dry, I could pick it out leaving little curls on the ends. It worked for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ms Drea Black Entertainment : Tony Allen:Afro-Beat Drummer Rest in Power Black Entertainment 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Ghana : Ghana granted citizenship to over 100 African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans as part of Year of Return Ghana 1
Perfection Black People Politics : ↭ßlack ℭuban ∫tudies↭ Notes on Some Afro-Cuban Translations Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ↭ßlack ℭuban ∫tudies↭The Emergence of an Afro-Cuban Aesthetic Black People Politics 0
Perfection Togo : In Context Series: Togo, West Africa -- An Appraisal by an Afro-American Togo 0
jamesfrmphilly Food Discussion : afro vegan.... Food Discussion and Recipes 1
Black Phoenix Black People : SMDH:ALLURE TEACHES WHITE WOMEN HOW TO "GET" AN AFRO Black People Open Forum 15
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Robert Glasper Experiment featuring Erykah Badu - Afro Blue Black Entertainment 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Afro-Man & The Protectors Of The Book Of Knowledge OldSoul 0
KPITRL Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : The Truth about the Afro (The Bush) Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 23
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Afro-Mexicans Demanding Justice for Malcolm Shabazz Attacked by Hundreds of Cops Black People Open Forum 3
RAPTOR South Africa : Dr. Frank Wilderson on Nelson Mandela, South Africa and Afro-Pessimism South Africa 27
Alarm Clock Black People : Afro Mexicans Demand end to Coverup of Malcolm Shabbaz Assasination Black People Open Forum 98
KaHotep Black People : Afro-Centric Private School Black People Open Forum 3
MsInterpret Black People : Is there a difference between Afro-Centric and Conscious? Black People Open Forum 10
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Abbie Lincoln, Afro Blue Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Black People : Afro-Colombians Face Hostile "Land Grab" Eviction from land they owned since the 1600s Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : The Lady Of Rage- Afro Puffs Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Destee Network : Drumtide Magazine: An Afro cultural, Sociopolitical and Arts Magazine Destee Network : 0
candeesweet Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Afro Deep House: Mateo & Matos - Hey Zulu (Original Mix) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : Molech: Ancient Afro-Hebraic fire deity. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
teamafro The Front Porch : Introducing Team Afro and AfroDaddy.com The Front Porch 4
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : Afro-Brazilians keep the spirit alive Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
A Black People : Afro Latinos Black People Open Forum 10
chuck Black People : Afro Columbians And The Green Movement: Black People Open Forum 0
I Black People : Afro Puerto Rico: The Islands Ties to Slavery Black People Open Forum 5
A Black Short Stories : Sneak preview (my afro-sci-fi short story) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 5
Chevron Dove Black People : APHRODITE [Afro-diety]; the African goddess Black People Open Forum 0
brown_h0rnet Black People : The Afro Dollar Black People Open Forum 4
G Black Poetry : AFRO Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Khasm13 Khasm13 : Afro Samauri.... Khasm13 4
L Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Dont Killl the Afro... Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 3
blackeyes Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : No afro puffs at school Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 6
Destee Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Oprah With Her Afro Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 7
G Black People : Afro-Mexican Black People Open Forum 0
A Black People : so called "afro americans" the LEAST brainwashed out of the disporians!? Black People Open Forum 39
D Pan Africanism : Now Series: 'Afro-Latin Americans' African American History Culture 3
Destee Black Sports : Latin players leave Afro-Americans aside Black Sports 7
Metaverse Black People : "NA' MEAN?" The Genius of Afro-Speech Black People Open Forum 50
M Black People : A FRENCH AFRO GIRL FROM WEST INDIES Black People Open Forum 5
Isaiah Pan Africanism : AFRO CUBAN HISTORY IN TAMPA, FLORIDA African American History Culture 2
jamesfrmphilly Nigeria : afro museum in philly, nigeria featival Nigeria 0
Isaiah African American History Culture : MACHITO MARIO, CHANO & DIZZY = AFRO-CUBAN JAZZ... African American History Culture 2
V Pan Africanism : afro columbian in danger in columbia African American History Culture 1
V Pan Africanism : afro columbian in danger in columbia African American History Culture 3
Isaiah Pan Africanism : AFRO ARGENTINOS - PICTURE ESSAY AND LINKS THAT DON'T WORK... African American History Culture 3
Isaiah Pan Africanism : AFRO GERMANS: SHOWING THEIR COLORS... African American History Culture 2
1 Pan Africanism : Educating Blacks on Afro-Brazilian History African American History Culture 11
N Black Education / Schools : Afro Centric Homeschooling Black Education / Schools 16
Isaiah Haiti : AFRO CUBANS FROM HAITI Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1