African American History Culture : African American or Black American?

Dez K

Jul 20, 2014
Okay so, I'm really young. I'm only 18. This is also my first "thread" because something got me thinking, and I wanted to discuss it with you all because it's a little confusing.

The question is: What does it mean to you to be African American? And do you prefer the term African American, Black American, or both?

I ask these questions because I need insight from other black people.
I know the term African American is supposed the equivalent to Italian American, Irish American, Mexican American, German American, etc. It makes sense, but then it doesn't make sense.

It makes sense because I know people want to have some sort of connection to Africa. What I mean by that is, every other race can trace down their cultural heritage from their grandparents or great grandparents, Japanese, Irish, English, Cherokee, Brazilian, Turkey, Pakistan, etc. But it seems as if we are the only ones that can't trace back African heritage through family members. We can only do that with genealogy tests, because, obviously all that traces back waaay too far. So it makes sense to call native born blacks African American because then we can AT LEAST say, "I know I have African heritage somewhere down the line".

This is where it DOESN'T make sense. I'll just use myself as an example:

My mother was born in America, she is black, so she is considered African American.

My father was born in Nigeria, came to the US for college, and earned citizenship 3 years ago. He is also considered African American. Not only because he is black, but because he is from Africa.

Clearly, at least to me, two completely different things with the same term.

If it were up to me, native born black Americans, with distant ties to Africa, should all just be called Black Americans. (meaning they were born in America, and they are black)

And African American should only be a term for people who were ACTUALLY born and raised in Africa regardless of race. (Africa doesn't have a race attached to it) Or 1st, 2nd, even 3rd generation people who have immediate ties to Africa through family members.

It just makes more sense that way.

I mean if a white person from Africa gained citizenship in America, shouldn't they be considered African American too?

Or if a black person from Trinidad gained citizenship in America, shouldn't they also be considered African American because they also have distant African ancestry like most of us?

It's confusing because the term itself implies that you have immediate ties to Africa from the eyes of a foreigner. When in reality, I picture an African American to be a black person who was born and raised in America, who only has African ancestry, who has never stepped foot in Africa, nor has any immediate ties to Africa by family members.

Does that make a black American automatically African American???

Someone pointed it out to me from Britain. "Why only in America, 'African American'? In Britain, we don't call most British-born blacks 'African British' just because they have African Ancestry."
I can see why she thought that, cuz it didn't make sense to me either.

And then, there's the sad fact that most of us don't even know which parts of Africa run through our vains.

I still feel like half of myself is missing because I only know that my dad is Nigerian. But what about my mom? I have no clue, neither does she.

I personally use both terms Black American and African American to describe myself because I actully have a Black American mother, and an African father.

Here's a link to an article I read to explains a black woman's reason for wanting to be called "Black American" when she made a trip to Kenya.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...erican_why_i_prefer_to_be_called_a_black.html

Very insightful article. Made me think.

Nevertheless, what do you think? What does it mean to you?

SuperCerebralgal

Oct 28, 2014
If it were up to me, native born black Americans, with distant ties to Africa, should all just be called Black Americans. (meaning they were born in America, and they are black)

I mean if a white person from Africa gained citizenship in America, shouldn't they be considered African American too?
I really don't understand these arguments

Why would you call yourself "Black" but not African-American? What is Black denoting??? By your avi, certainly not your actual skin tone so it must be referring to your dark-skinned ancestry, aka African ancestry.

It's a racial classification. It's really more simple than people make it out to be. I'm sure your father can relate more to the term "Nigerian-American" than he can "African-American", as most Africans who migrate from Africa to America can relate to their hyphenated specific country of origin more than the conglomerate term "African-American"

African American is a perfect way to describe the descendants of Americans whose African ethnic identities have been stolen away from them. The African in us is precious and we should want to embrace it. It has been our marker for degradation and segregation for our entire existence in America and it makes us uniquely different than all other Americans. Why would you want to be labelled then same thing as the people who oppressed half of your side?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Okay so, I'm really young. I'm only 18. This is also my first "thread" because something got me thinking, and I wanted to discuss it with you all because it's a little confusing.

The question is: What does it mean to you to be African American? And do you prefer the term African American, Black American, or both?

I ask these questions because I need insight from other black people.
I know the term African American is supposed the equivalent to Italian American, Irish American, Mexican American, German American, etc. It makes sense, but then it doesn't make sense.

It makes sense because I know people want to have some sort of connection to Africa. What I mean by that is, every other race can trace down their cultural heritage from their grandparents or great grandparents, Japanese, Irish, English, Cherokee, Brazilian, Turkey, Pakistan, etc. But it seems as if we are the only ones that can't trace back African heritage through family members. We can only do that with genealogy tests, because, obviously all that traces back waaay too far. So it makes sense to call native born blacks African American because then we can AT LEAST say, "I know I have African heritage somewhere down the line".

This is where it DOESN'T make sense. I'll just use myself as an example:

My mother was born in America, she is black, so she is considered African American.

My father was born in Nigeria, came to the US for college, and earned citizenship 3 years ago. He is also considered African American. Not only because he is black, but because he is from Africa.

Clearly, at least to me, two completely different things with the same term.

And African American should only be a term for people who were ACTUALLY born and raised in Africa regardless of race. (Africa doesn't have a race attached to it) Or 1st, 2nd, even 3rd generation people who have immediate ties to Africa through family members.

It just makes more sense that way.

Or if a black person from Trinidad gained citizenship in America, shouldn't they also be considered African American because they also have distant African ancestry like most of us?

It's confusing because the term itself implies that you have immediate ties to Africa from the eyes of a foreigner. When in reality, I picture an African American to be a black person who was born and raised in America, who only has African ancestry, who has never stepped foot in Africa, nor has any immediate ties to Africa by family members.

Does that make a black American automatically African American???

Someone pointed it out to me from Britain. "Why only in America, 'African American'? In Britain, we don't call most British-born blacks 'African British' just because they have African Ancestry."
I can see why she thought that, cuz it didn't make sense to me either.

And then, there's the sad fact that most of us don't even know which parts of Africa run through our vains.

I still feel like half of myself is missing because I only know that my dad is Nigerian. But what about my mom? I have no clue, neither does she.

I personally use both terms Black American and African American to describe myself because I actully have a Black American mother, and an African father.

Here's a link to an article I read to explains a black woman's reason for wanting to be called "Black American" when she made a trip to Kenya.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...erican_why_i_prefer_to_be_called_a_black.html

Very insightful article. Made me think.

Nevertheless, what do you think? What does it mean to you?

To be only 18, you have profound thoughts about race Dez K, very similar to those of Aisha Harris. Personally, I'm good with African-American since Black is understood to apply to all African-Americans.

To gain even more insight from the points of view of others, click and review the Thread below:

Are You African or African American?
Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, Jul 21, 2003

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/are-you-african-or-african-american.15379/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black News Channel Focusing On African American Coverage To Launch In January 2020 Black People Doing Positive Things 0
T African American History Culture : African American Deuteronomy vs. Black Autonomy African American History Culture 18
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Older African American Women's Discussion on Barriers to Mammography Black Women 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Historical Account of Black Gangsterism -Warning for African American Leadership Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀In Quest of African American Political Woman Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Using Fiction by African American Women to Teach Black Women's History Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ African-American Women's Quilting Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Breast Cancer Intervention-Older African American Women in Beauty Salons Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ The History of Grandmothers in the African‐American Community Black Women 0
OldSoul Black People : 'When It Comes To Black People, I Think They’re All Ugly,' Says 16-Year-Old African-American Black People Open Forum 5
Liberty Black People : Gucci’s New Ads, Featuring All African-American Models, Under Fire for Treating ‘Black Soul as Drag’ Black People Open Forum 5
Liberty Black Entertainment : Black Films Matter-how African American cinema fought back against Hollywood Black Entertainment 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Legislator Calls Abortion “African-American Genocide” Because So Many Black Babies are Aborted Black People Politics 123
Black Phoenix Black Entertainment : Black Media Company Releases First Animated Series That Teaches Children Authentic African American Black Entertainment 0
Liberty Black Entertainment : Black Christmas: African-American Santa Clauses Are Making Big Bucks These Days Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Why black teachers are leaving urban schools What's behind the drop off in African American teachers Black Education / Schools 2
Black Phoenix Black People : Black Excellence: Archive of African American Women Soldiers’ Letters Donated to Harvard University Black People Open Forum 0
KPITRL African American History Culture : Should we continue identifying as African-American and Black? African American History Culture 98
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : African-American Democrats form coalition to counter "disrespect" for black causes Black People Politics 7
Keita Kenyatta Black Money Business Jobs : If You’re a Black Business Owner Who Wants to Succeed, Leave The African-American Consumer Behind Black Money Business Jobs 17
S Black People : "The New Black".. on same-sex marriage and the African American community in Maryland. Black People Open Forum 8
RAPTOR Black People : Young, black and buried in debt: How for-profit colleges prey on African-American ambition Black People Open Forum 12
Destee Black People : African-American school superintendent accused of calling black staff 'slaves' Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black People : Black on Black Crime Widely Ignored, Says African American Activists Black People Open Forum 144
Chevron Dove Black Christians : THE MONKEY TRIBE!? Black African Americans in the American Revolution Christian Study Group 0
C Black People : Are we African American, Black or neither of two Black People Open Forum 32
R Science and Technology : on the net Black or African American or..... Science and Technology 8
G African American History Culture : Black Bikers/African American Motorcycle Clubs African American History Culture 3
D African American Stories Online in Honor of Black History Month Honoring Black Ancestors 0
B Black People : Why I'm Black, Not African American Black People Open Forum 78
ASHANTA Black Poetry : A Prayer For Black African American Poetry Members Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Senegal Black People : My African American.... Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Next U.S. Navy aircraft carrier to be named after African American Pearl Harbor hero African American History Culture 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Overlooked No More: Bessie Coleman, Pioneering African American Aviatrix Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : US city to pay Reparations to African-American community with tax on marijuana sales Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : First African-American FBI agent finally gets recognition Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Many dermatologists need more training on African American skin and hair Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Chicago groups work to document African American history African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African American museum founder discovered dead in car trunk African American History Culture 1
A Black Poetry : For african american girls, african girls, and jamaican girls Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : A “Go Back to Africa” media campaign uses AI to boost African American tourism All Things Africa 16
Al D Black People : Another viable alternative for African American Youth Success Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : African-American, Hispanic deaths by fentanyl overdose rising sharply Black Health and Wellness 0
Perfection Black Money Business Jobs : In Context Series: Why Is Economic Content Missing from African American Studies? Black Money Business Jobs 0
Perfection Black Men : In Context Series: The Health of African American Men Black Men 0
Chevron Dove Black Christians : VIDEO-Jews are African American Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Astronaut expected to be 1st African-American Space Station crewmember won't fly in 2018 after all Black People Doing Positive Things 5
chuck Black People Politics : What Should Be Our Goal For True African-American Political Empowerment In 2018? Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Henry Louis Gates Jr. on his never-ending quest to excavate African-American history African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Oil and gas group says African American ‘genetics’ are to blame for health problems, not pollution Black Health and Wellness 0