Law Forum : Adversarial System - The Legal System and Lawyers

legit-writer

Dec 12, 2002
Do you think the adversarial system is good for our country or is it bad for our country? I think it's bad because it focuses more of who has the best lawyer and not focusing on fairness. Because of this, the victims are not being protected, the actual criminals are still walking the streets and the innocent are being punished.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Do you think the adversarial system is good for our country or is it bad for our country? I think it's bad because it focuses more of who has the best lawyer and not focusing on fairness. Because of this, the victims are not being protected, the actual criminals are still walking the streets and the innocent are being punished.

The pendelum swings back and forth. Right now, it's swinging for the rich and connected

baller

Jan 28, 2001
the near north
i'm assuming you're talking 'bout the legal system...and lawyers.

if you're remember back to the old west, when they had traveling judges, they would go in and pronounce you guilty or innocent based on how you "looked" to them...and there was nothing you could do about it--no method of appeal. at least, in this adversarial system, you have someone to argue on your behalf. you're right, it's not about justice, it's more about winning and losing...and how lawyers do some nasty things to get that win. and, yes, sometimes it comes down to who the best lawyer is. but at least your side is heard.

the part of the process that irks me is the racist/negative opinion aspect some jurors may have towards black people. if their opinion is that we're guilty because we're black, what our lawyers say will not matter...they will still find us guilty.

WE STILL HAVE WORK TO DO.

Shikamaru

May 7, 2011

I think its great .... if you know what you are doing.

The only other system is the inquisitorial system.
Court was never about fairness. It has been about putting on a good show.

It isn't the judge, attorney, or law enforcements' job to protect your rights.

legit-writer

Dec 12, 2002
I think its great .... if you know what you are doing.

The only other system is the inquisitorial system.
Court was never about fairness. It has been about putting on a good show.

It isn't the judge, attorney, or law enforcements' job to protect your rights.
so its our own job or what?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thePreacher Black Spirituality Religion : Is God Adversarial? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 11
I_AM_HER Black Women : A black woman's experience and the failed U.S. healthcare system Black Women 0
C Black People : America Criminal Injustice System Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Health and Wellness : Why-some-Covid-19-patients-Crash-the-Bodys-Immune-System-Might-Be-To-Blame Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Expert: America's 'legacy of racism' led to a broken drug treatment system Black Health and Wellness 0
OldSoul Black People : Southern University System Selected as Pilot Institution for CIA’s White House Initiative - Know who we're dealing with Black People Open Forum 0
Ndugu Black Positive People : Jaden Smith's water company , is working to help Flint community with a new filtration system Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Fine1952 Black People Politics : Black Voting Inside A Rigged System Black People Politics 93
OldSoul Black People : Inside America's For-Profit Bail System Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Debtors' Prisons: Life Inside America’s For-Profit Justice System Black People Open Forum 0
Oni Bey Black People : African Centered Education System Black People Open Forum 10
IFE Black People Politics : The entire justice system here is run by black women Black People Politics 0
IFE Black Positive People : The entire justice system here is run by Black women Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : FASTING MAY REGENERATE ENTIRE IMMUNE SYSTEM Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Youtube is Struggling to End its FAKE-NEWS CRISIS: System Misfires, False Positives and Shooting Science and Technology 7
IFE Law Forum : RAPE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT IN THE LEGAL SYSTEM Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 12
IFE Law Forum : How Our Broken Justice System Led to a Sexual Harassment Crisis Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
IFE Law Forum : How Our Broken Justice System Led to a Sexual Harassment Crisis Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Mister Aten Black Parenting : Prof. Griff- Why Denzell Washington said "Prison System Not to Blame for Crime in Black Communities" Black Parenting 0
IFE Law Forum : Jay-Z: The Criminal Justice System Stalks Black People Like Meek Mill Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Corporate Greed & Vail Societal Infiltration System Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Study: Undocumented farm workers put food system at risk Black Health and Wellness 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Court System in ancient Egypt AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Is the Mental Health System Yet Another Form of Institutional Racism? Black Health and Wellness 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Slavery Under a Police System AACOOLDRE 0
Greatest I am Black Education / Schools : Those who pay for education should consider the benefits of a bonus system for students. Black Education / Schools 2
Liberty Law Forum : Tavis Smiley, PBS to Explore USA Judicial System in Unprecedented Televised Series, ‘Courting Justic Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Liberty Health and Wellness : White Scientist Says The Black Community Is Being Targeted By The Medical System, They Are Deliberat Black Health and Wellness 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : 10-Year-Old Explains Wealth Inequality in the Justice System Better Than You Ever Could Black People Doing Positive Things 0
T Black Muslims : The consonant system of The Qur'aan Islam Study Group 0
T Black Muslims : The vowel system of Qur'aan Islam Study Group 0
chuck Black People Politics : What Do You Truly Know About This Nation's Political System?? Black People Politics 2
HODEE Black People : Prentice Powell *Poetry on THE SYSTEM - The Black Condition Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Celebrities on Trump: Macy Gray Has a Holiday Song For Donald Trump And The System Black Entertainment 16
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : If GMOs aren’t the problem with our food system, then what is? Food Discussion and Recipes 9
IFE Black People : Atlanta - "Big solution" force buyouts or fix sewer system Black People Open Forum 2
Liberty Law Forum : Watch: Trailer for Vice Special on Broken Criminal Justice System, Featuring President Obama (Sept. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The New Jim Crow: The New Caste System AACOOLDRE 0
Kemetstry African American History Culture : SISTER INVENTED HOME SECURITY SYSTEM African American History Culture 4
cosmicmom Black Spirituality Religion : What are your thoughts on whether metaphysics is inconsistent with your current belief system? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 89
RAPTOR Black People : Precursor to Auschwitz: Hitler Said to Have Been Inspired by U.S. Indian Reservation System Black People Open Forum 4
Fine1952 Black Money Business Jobs : How The Rothschilds and Khazar Bankers Control The US Monetary System Black Money Business Jobs 15
dunwiddat Black People : The Crazy Justice System in USA keeps going Black People Open Forum 0
John Williams Black People Politics : Is the U.S. government's "Selective Service" system sexist? Black People Politics 14
candeesweet Black Poetry : Working for the system Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
I Black People Politics : Are you satisfied with the American governmental system? Black People Politics 14
dunwiddat Black People : The Justice System in the USA Stinks Black People Open Forum 4
Destee Violaters / Violations : New Warning / Violation System Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 17
RAPTOR Black People : Dr. Amos Wilson - Death at an Early Age: The Failure of the Education System Black People Open Forum 1
OldSoul OldSoul : racist criminal justice system and weed OldSoul 1