going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

A new generation considers being black in America

... Novelist Jesmyn Ward edited this collection of essays and a few poems, which describes the sorrow and unease of being black in America in the time of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and Sandra Bland, making it a natural companion to “Men We Reaped,” Ward’s memoir of five men close to her who died violent, untimely deaths.

The new book’s title, of course, pays homage to James Baldwin’s 1963 classic “The Fire Next Time.” Ward and her fellow writers treat Baldwin as a revered old uncle: a voice of experience, a link to history and, occasionally, an elder to be argued with ...

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article100926402.html

“The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks about Race.” Edited by Jesmyn Ward. Scribner. 240 pages. $25

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

A new generation considers being black in America

... Novelist Jesmyn Ward edited this collection of essays and a few poems, which describes the sorrow and unease of being black in America in the time of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and Sandra Bland, making it a natural companion to “Men We Reaped,” Ward’s memoir of five men close to her who died violent, untimely deaths.

The new book’s title, of course, pays homage to James Baldwin’s 1963 classic “The Fire Next Time.” Ward and her fellow writers treat Baldwin as a revered old uncle: a voice of experience, a link to history and, occasionally, an elder to be argued with ...

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article100926402.html

“The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks about Race.” Edited by Jesmyn Ward. Scribner. 240 pages. $25

I read the link you provided, and this statement really is so inaccurate and shows total disregard and and insult to the CRM. Or which black Power movement are they referring to?

“Unlike earlier black-power movements that tried to fight or segregate for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article100926402.html#storylink=cpy

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I read the link you provided, and this statement really is so inaccurate and shows total disregard and and insult to the CRM. Or which black Power movement are they referring to?
“Unlike earlier black-power movements that tried to fight or segregate for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article100926402.html#storylink=cpy

The essence of the book is on this baseline:

Novelist Jesmyn Ward edited this collection of essays and a few poems, which describes the sorrow and unease of being black in America in the time of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and Sandra Bland, making it a natural companion to “Men We Reaped,” Ward’s memoir of five men close to her who died violent, untimely deaths.

The below precedes the statement you quoted above and makes the context clear:

Claudia Rankine’s essay “The Condition of Black Life Is One of Mourning” links the Black Lives Matter movement to Mamie Till’s decision to show the body of her murdered son Emmett and to allow photographs of his disfigured corpse.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Unlike earlier black-power movements that tried to fight or segregate for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”

The essence of the book is on this baseline:

Novelist Jesmyn Ward edited this collection of essays and a few poems, which describes the sorrow and unease of being black in America in the time of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and Sandra Bland, making it a natural companion to “Men We Reaped,” Ward’s memoir of five men close to her who died violent, untimely deaths.

The below precedes the statement you quoted above and makes the context clear:

Claudia Rankine’s essay “The Condition of Black Life Is One of Mourning” links the Black Lives Matter movement to Mamie Till’s decision to show the body of her murdered son Emmett and to allow photographs of his disfigured corpse.

This is the statement I object to:

Unlike earlier black-power movements that (tried to fight or segregate) for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”[/QUOTE]

What other Black movements are she referring to. During the CRM, people fought and died. We were not even the first generation to fight for freedom.
I find her statement, off and uninformed. BLM is not the first group to do what they are doing.
They need to let that sink in real good. THEY ARE NOT THE FIRST Black Power Movement.
Of course I know the police are shooting Black men. She's not saying anything new about

links the Black Lives Matter movement to Mamie Till’s decision to show the body of her murdered son Emmett

How do we connect the two? I can connect Emmitt Till to the CRM, NOT BLM.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
This is the statement I object to:
Unlike earlier black-power movements that (tried to fight or segregate) for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”

How do we connect the two? I can connect Emmitt Till to the CRM, NOT BLM.

What other Black movements are she referring to. During the CRM, people fought and died. We were not even the first generation to fight for freedom.
I find her statement, off and uninformed. BLM is not the first group to do what they are doing.
They need to let that sink in real good. THEY ARE NOT THE FIRST Black Power Movement.
Of course I know the police are shooting Black men. She's not saying anything new about

links the Black Lives Matter movement to Mamie Till’s decision to show the body of her murdered son Emmett

All I can do, as I did, is to place into context the understanding they proclaimed in their "collection of essays" contained in their book.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Black Poetry : this been a nation with a generation that parade in the club and has made love the focus of attention so like a locust in a dimension he's ready to ho Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Writing Discussion : Baby boomers ruined America, according to this Generation X author Short Stories - Authors - Writing 40
IFE Black People : “Is This Generation of African-American Baby Boomers Getting Soft? Black People Open Forum 20
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : T.I.'s Open Letter to President Barack Obama: "You Shook Up and Woke Up a Generation" and to Trump Black People Doing Positive Things 6
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : tell-a-e-network-to-cancel-generation-kkk Black People Politics 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Incarceration hasn’t been this low in a generation Black People Politics 36
Liberty Science and Technology : Africa can feed itself within a generation Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A next generation(New Era Detroit) of black activism gains steam African American History Culture 1
chuck Black People : The Alleged Backstory of Today's Twentysomethings Generation: Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The New Testament Generation (40 years) AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Atheists : Atheist scientist claims religion will be gone in a generation. Is he right? Atheist Study Group 15
Alarm Clock Audio Video Web Conferencing : Ronnie Laws; Every Generation Audio Video Web Conferencing 3
S Black People : Janelle Monae : a new generation inspired by the artistry of James Brown. Black People Open Forum 11
dunwiddat Black People Politics : Voice of Generation Obama Black People Politics 0
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Every Generation - Ronnie Laws (Vinyl 12") 1980 Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
RAPTOR Black People : The Stolen Generation Black People Open Forum 4
MsInterpret Black People : Older Generation, what influences are you leaving on the Young? Black People Open Forum 54
chuck Black People : Generation: Next-? Black People Open Forum 4
chuck Black People : Generation X-! Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Talking About MY Generation-! Black People Open Forum 0
MsInterpret Black Parenting : Younger Generation Black Parenting 40
3 Black Positive People : Minnesota African Women's Association and Generation for Change and Growth Black People Doing Positive Things 0
chuck Black People : Spike Lee's Message To The Younger Generation(s): Black People Open Forum 22
asimplepoet Black Poetry : A Dare to Invest in this Generation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Chevron Dove Black Spirituality Religion : NUMBERS 14:18, Judgment of the 3rd and 4th Generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
S Black Spirituality Religion : GENERATING A GENERATION... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Blackbird Black People : the 7th generation philosophy Black People Open Forum 30
Zulile Black Positive People : Mis-education of a Lost Generation Black People Doing Positive Things 6
Keita Kenyatta Black People : My Gift To the HipHop Generation Black People Open Forum 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : The generation and propagation of the divine knowledge is not a waste. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
D Black Women : Video: Black DOLLS - how girls see themselves through the generation Black Women 6
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God comes down in every generation to explain personally face to face Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God is impartial to come in human form – In every human generation. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God has to come in human form in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : The human incarnation comes in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God comes in human form in all places of the earth & in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Who is the human incarnation in the present human generation? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : The human incarnation comes in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God has to come in human form in every generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Difference between God & God’s power (the process of generation of world from God is Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
I Black People : FBI's New Generation of Cointelpro Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : Food for Thought.......Leaders of our Generation Black People Open Forum 6
T Black Spirituality Religion : Generation(and other) Gaps Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Isaiah Black People : LOST GENERATION??? Black People Open Forum 30
Isaiah African American History Culture : Priests, Poverty, and Popular Culture:Reverend Osagyefo Uhuru Sekou on Generation X a African American History Culture 0
K Destruction of Generation X Black Children 0
L Black Poetry : LOST GENERATION Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
S Black People : The Generation Gap Black People Open Forum 0
U Black Poetry : The Beat Generation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
S Black Poetry : The Sixth Generation Child Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6