Black People : 80 Witnesses recant Testimony, yet Troy Davis rejected by Supreme Court

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
SAVANNAH, Ga. --
It's a case that has divided people all over the world. Now a ruling from the nation's highest court may pave the way for the execution of accused Savannah cop killer Troy Davis.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal from the Georgia death row inmate Monday. The justices, without comment, refused to order the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta to examine the case and declined to do so themselves.

Davis was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1989 killing of Savannah police officer Mark MacPhail.

The ruling is just the latest in a complex legal battle that has played out in the courts for more than 20 years, a continuing tragedy for the Davis and MacPhail families.

"it is troubling, and it's upsetting but the thing about it is this whole case has been an uphill battle," said Davis' sister Martina Correia.

Correia said she was shocked the Supreme Court's rejection of her brother's appeal came so suddenly.

"It's like everyone wants to pass the buck. Nobody wants to address the issue of actual innocence and new evidence," she said.

Months after U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore in Savannah said Davis failed to prove his innocence, this is the latest blow to the efforts to see him freed.

"His concern is not so much for himself but for the people who are advocating and the people who love him," said Correia of her brother.

Monday's ruling also came as a surprise to the victim's son, Mark MacPhail, Jr.

"[I thought] that they would hear it, hold the verdict til later so they could discuss it a bit more. But to hear that they rejected it completely was a complete shock to me," he said.

http://www2.wsav.com/news/2011/mar/28/supreme-court-rejects-troy-davis-appeal-families-b-ar-1641339/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Jury: Jehovah's Witnesses must pay $35M to abuse survivor Christian Study Group 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Two Witnesses in the book of REV AACOOLDRE 0
A Black Muslims : Witnesses of Thinkers about the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be upon Him) Islam Study Group 0
A Black Spirituality Religion : Bible Prophecies of Muhammad (part 1 of 4): Witnesses of Scholars Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 85
M Black Spirituality Religion : Jehovah's Witnesses & Freemasonry Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 20
Akilah Black People : Witnesses: New Orleans cops among looters Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black People : Witnesses: New Orleans Cops Amongst Looters Black People Open Forum 0
M Black Poetry : Don't put yo hands on my mama! (For the silent witnesses-the children) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
B Black Poetry : Jehovah's Witnesses Effect Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
J Black Poetry : y'all my witnesses (closing arguments) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
J Black Poetry : y'all my witnesses Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : White House blocked intelligence agency’s testimony calling climate change ‘possibly catastrophic' Science and Technology 4
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : A Black Woman’s Battle to Tell the Truth About Nat Turner: Witness and Testimony African American History Culture 0
Black Phoenix Law Forum : Black Father of Five Jailed & Indicted For Child Murder Despite Police Testimony Stating No Eye.. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The testimony of Josephus to Christianity AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : A slave woman's testimony AACOOLDRE 0
cherryblossom Black Christians : Testimony: Shawn Christoper Christian Study Group 2
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : Helen Baylor's Testimony - Praying Grandmother.wmv Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
C Black People : Juror b37 decided verdict based on testimony struck from the record? Hmmm... Black People Open Forum 52
dunwiddat Black Christians : One Woman's Testimony of God's Love Christian Study Group 6
PatriceCQueen Black People : grand jury testimony about incidents concerning persons connected to penn state Black People Open Forum 1
cherryblossom Black Christians : Healing Testimony Christian Study Group 8
DARKSIDE MAGICK Black Spirituality Religion : LAST WILL AND TESTIMONY OF DARKSIDE MAGICK Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 35
T Black People : Katrina Tribunal Testimony Black People Open Forum 0
C Black Spirituality Religion : Testimony Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
soulful2006 Black Poetry : Alicia's Testimony Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
M Black Spirituality Religion : Christians, why YOUR Testimony???????? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
M Black Poetry : Testimony Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
G Black Poetry : testimony Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
L Black Poetry : ...My Testimony...My Prayer... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
K Black Poetry : The Lord's Testimony Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
L Black Poetry : ...Written Testimony... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
L Black Poetry : Her Testimony My Shame Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Bishop Black Poetry : Testimony - Repost Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
Bishop Black Poetry : Testimony - (Kemestry's request) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
cocobutterskyn Black Poetry : A Mother's Tears(now a testimony) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
B Black Poetry : Testimony of Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11