going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
120611-national-black-women-sexual-abuse.jpg

Study: 60 Percent of Black Females Are Sexually Abused Before They Turn 18
A preliminary study from Black Women’s Blueprint finds that 60 percent of Black women surveyed said they were sexually abused by a Black man before they turned 18.

• Nationally, more than 300 women were surveyed in the study, and the organization hopes to survey a total of 700 women by March 2012. The group will announce its full findings at that time.

According to Farah Tanis, co-Founder of the New York-based organization and co-author of the study, domestic and sexual abuse in the Black community often goes ignored, and the problem is only getting worse.

“A similar study that was conducted by Black Women’s Health Imperative seven years ago found that that number was about 40 percent,” Tanis told NewsOne. “So that means there is an increase and we need to stop neglecting that issue.”

According to the White House, young women between the ages of 16 to 24 suffer from the highest rates of dating violence and sexual assault. On Nov. 30, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vermont) and Senator Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) introduced bipartisan legislation to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which was first passed in 1994 by then-Senator Joseph Biden. The legislation helps states and local communities provide services for victims, develop specialized law enforcement units and works to strengthen prosecution of these crimes. The annual incidence of domestic violence has dropped by more than 50 percent since VAWA was first passed, the White House reports.

BET Health News - We go beyond the music and entertainment world to bring you important medical information and health-related tips of special relevance to Blacks in the U.S. and around the world.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
I believe this. And if you add mere physical abuse to the equation, I believe the number would be even higher. This has nothing to do with demonizing black men; why does it always go back to that instead of it being asked what is being done to protect black women/girls?

I haven't been sexually abused, but the amount of women in my own family that have been violated blew my mind. Then there were other women in the neighborhood, close friends of the family, and so on. It was like every one had this dirty little secret that the men ignored and the women were forced to remain silent about.

I know it probably comes as a surprise to black men who had no idea whatsoever about this and have never harmed a female in their lives, but this has been going on way too long in our community and needs to be addressed.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
i don't believe this. another effort to demonize the black man.

You see, when you go about it this way, it brings separation. Instead of listening to the women who have gone through this, you take it as an attack on black men. If black men and women are one thing, one community, why would they just single y'all out?

It's always stated that racism affects both black men and women, but so many of y'all are quick to state black men are the ones being attacked and black women are being "used" to do the attacking. Why is that?

How about just listening and not ignoring a real issue here. I know that ignoring things brings some people comfort, but it's only going to bring about more dysfunction to our community til it's fixed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Women Aren't Saving America For You. They're Protecting Themselves Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : What Ever Happened to Hazel Scott? One of the most Brilliant Beautiful Black Women Ever! Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People Politics : Kristen Welker made all Black women proud tonight Black People Politics 4
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 4, 2020 - Say their names - Black Women Killed by Police Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : ?Did Black Women Author The Bible? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
P Black Women : Who of you black women use spankings in education? Black Women 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Women : Black Women, Grillz, And The Reclamation Of Power Black Women 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Black women prosecutors face racial discrimination, death threats Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
OldSoul Black People : Consciousness Raising OnLine - HerStory: Black Women Athletes Re-view Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Brand (The Honey Pot) Targeted With Racist Reviews Over Ad Empowering Black Women Black Money Business Jobs 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : 'I'm not coming here to conform': Black women on why wearing their natural hair at work matters Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
SwagII Black Relationships : Black Women Speak To Your Black Men! Black Relationships 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and Miss America are all black women. This 'Essence' cover honors the monumental moment Black Entertainment 0
Queenie Law Forum : Black Lives Matter: Including Black Women Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Women : Today – August 22 – is the day Black women’s wages finally catch up Black Women 0
OldSoul Black People : Mãe Preta (Black Mother): Brazil Exhibition recovers history of black women who breastfed the white children during slavery Black People Open Forum 0
F Black People : Is real empowerment truly possible if Black men and Black women are disconnected from each other? Black People Open Forum 6
OldSoul Black People : Black Women Too Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Relationships : R. Kelly’s Victims Ignored for 30 Years, Everything to Do With the Fact That They are Black Women Black Relationships 32
Clyde C Coger Jr Single Black Mothers : The Quiet Crisis Killing Black Women Black Women 8
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Black Women’s Memories and The Help Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀White Women & Black Men: Different Responses in Reading Black Women's Texts Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Teaching Black Women's Heritage Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Recruitment & Retention of Black Women as Public School Superintendents Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Black Women Composers in Chicago: Then and Now Black Women 1
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Mining the Forgotten: Manuscript Sources for Black Women's History Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Exploring the Stress-Support-Distress Process Among Black Women Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Black Women Journalists in the South, 1880-1905 Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Black Women Talk About Workplace Stress and How They Cope Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Older African American Women's Discussion on Barriers to Mammography Black Women 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀In Quest of African American Political Woman Black People Politics 0
Perfection Law Forum : In Context Series: Black Women's Prison Narratives and the Intersection of Race, Gender Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Using Fiction by African American Women to Teach Black Women's History Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ African-American Women's Quilting Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Breast Cancer Intervention-Older African American Women in Beauty Salons Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ The History of Grandmothers in the African‐American Community Black Women 0
Perfection Science and Technology : In Context Series: Black Women in Science-- Implications For Improved Participation Science and Technology 1
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Aunt Jemima Explained--Old South, Absent Mistress, and the Slave in a Box Black People Politics 0
Queenie African American History Culture : Black Women of the Old West African American History Culture 8
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ The Role of the Queen Mother in Israelite Society Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀"Elevate My Mind"--Identities for Women in Hip Hop Songs Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ◄Studies in Black Power►Black Women and Black Power Black People Politics 2
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Krobo Queen Mothers---Contemporary Female Traditional Authority in Ghana Black People Politics 0
A Black People Politics : Why do most Black Women vote Democrat? IDGI Black People Politics 3
Perfection Black People Politics : BUSTED! Phillip Scott of TheAdviseShowTv (oh, so that's why you be dogging Black Women) Black People Politics 2
Perfection Black People Politics : Tariq Nasheed's "Negro bed wench" language is dangerous against Black Women Black People Politics 0
OldSoul Black People : Consciousness Raising - HerStory: Black Women Athletes Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Why Natural hair is empowering for Black women Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
IFE Black People Politics : The entire justice system here is run by black women Black People Politics 0
IFE Black Positive People : The entire justice system here is run by Black women Black People Doing Positive Things 1