Black People : 55 year old white man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 7, 2011
I come here with a lifetime of experience, trying to understand what is hard to understand.

Preoccupation with any physical attribute; whether skin color or sexual orientation or height or weight or......does a disservice to your human nature, if one gives said preoccupation precedence over human nature.

Human nature is what it is and is what it has been since humans existed. It is not physical; it is what we all share. I don't understand why people pay so little attention to what we all share and so much attention to physical attributes.

You are black; I am white. So what. I don't get it. My experience has shown me that blacks are preoccupied with their skin color. This web site is just a very small example of this.

Why the preoccupation?

I would say that this is projection on your race's part with you being a part of that race.

It is Europeans who are preoccupied with skin color to the point of using skin color to create economic and social systems of hierarchy the world over.

Remember, we (blacks) didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

KMeister

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 27, 2013
Destee,

I can't impress upon you strongly enough the degree to which your sincerity and love and longing come across in your pages.

My question is equally sincere and I think worthy of discussion. I think black people do themselves a disservice by thinking of themselves as blacks first and foremost.
Not all black people think this way. There are blacks who see themselves as a multifaceted human being based on their biology/genetics AND their life experiences. For me, first and foremost I see myself as a Christian. Everything else in my mind falls behind that identity. I am also an African American, a male, a brother, a son, a husband and an American. After being a Christian, is any of the other aspects of me more important than another? For me, probably being a husband. However, for others when judging me perhaps my race is the more salient aspect. Sometimes, my attention on who I am is pushed to the foreground depending on the circumstances. (Ever been the only [fill in the race] in the room? The only non-Spanish speaker?)

In America the first two items someone notices when looking at another is that person's race and sex. Given our culture, that frequently leads to judgments about the person before s/he even speaks.

There is a saying: don't let others define you. Easily declared but not always easy to live.

Kemetstry

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Not all black people think this way. There are blacks who see themselves as a multifaceted human being based on their biology/genetics AND their life experiences. For me, first and foremost I see myself as a Christian. Everything else in my mind falls behind that identity. I am also an African American, a male, a brother, a son, a husband and an American. After being a Christian, is any of the other aspects of me more important than another? For me, probably being a husband. However, for others when judging me perhaps my race is the more salient aspect. Sometimes, my attention on who I am is pushed to the foreground depending on the circumstances. (Ever been the only [fill in the race] in the room? The only non-Spanish speaker?)

In America the first two items someone notices when looking at another is that person's race and sex. Given our culture, that frequently leads to judgments about the person before s/he even speaks.

There is a saying: don't let others define you. Easily declared but not always easy to live.

The Genome Project says we all came out of Africa.

How many black people would you say believe as you do?

jamesfrmphilly

PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
11222703_10153372022426291_8816814430624338750_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Jahari Kavi's profile.
Hi Brother @Jahari Kavi ... Welcome Home! Good to see you! YAAAAAY Us! :love:
Destee wrote on Orisons's profile.
Hi Brother @Orisons ... good to see you in the house, stay safe always please :heart:
Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss:
Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love:
Massey Ferguson Tractors and farm implements for Sale in Africa especially in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria and many more. Our tractor company in Africa having huge stock of brand new tractors and farm implements for tractor dealers.