Science and Technology : 3-D food printer; could it end world hunger?

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
NASA awards grant for 3-D food printer; could it end world hunger?

3DPrinterFood.jpg

Call it food for thought. Or perhaps thought for food: NASA has given a six-month grant to a company developing what could be the world’s first 3-D food printer. And the project’s developer, reports Quartz, an online digital news site, believes the invention could be used to end world hunger.
Quartz explains that the printer is the brainchild of mechanical engineer Anjan Contractor. Being developed by Contractor’s company, Systems & Materials Research Corp., it will use proteins, carbohydrates and sugars to create edible food products.
Contractor says one of his primary motivations is a belief that food will become exponentially more expensive in the near future. The average consumer, he told Quartz, will need a more economically viable option.
Some alternative food source options that may be used with the printer include algae, duckweed, grass, lupine seeds, beet leaves and even insects, according to TNO Research, which is working with Contractor on the project.
“I think, and many economists think, that current food systems can’t supply 12 billion people sufficiently,” said Contractor. “So we eventually have to change our perception of what we see as food.”
One of Contractor’s first prototypes will be a 3-D pizza printer, and he hopes to begin building it over the next couple of weeks. Contractor, reports Quartz, explained that it will print "a layer of dough, which is baked at the same time it’s printed, by a heated plate at the bottom of the printer. Then it lays down a tomato base, 'which is also stored in a powdered form, and then mixed with water and oil.'" Lastly comes the "protein layer."
Contractor also hopes that people will be able to share recipes via an open source coding system.
“One of the major advantages of a 3-D printer is that it provides personalized nutrition,” Contractor told Quartz. “If you’re male, female, someone is sick—they all have different dietary needs. If you can program your needs into a 3-D printer, it can print exactly the nutrients that person requires.”
NASA is certainly a believer: The six-month grant comes to $125,000. The agency specifically interested in using the 3-D printer to feed astronauts on long space voyages.
READ MORE: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/nasa-awards-grant-3d-food-printer-could-end-194050661.html

MS234

Mar 1, 2010
I'm for anything that can feed hungry people.

If we/they wanted to we/they could end world hunger yesterday. This is a distraction on what should be addressed IMO.

Does this print water? We live in a day when no one on earth should be without food and water, yet there are people without food and water.

I'm trying to picture a person suffering from hunger having a touchscreen and 3-D printer in the middle of a barren land.

The agency specifically interested in using the 3-D printer to feed astronauts on long space voyages.
This is the real reason behind this. Like the military inspired dried/powder just add water food and cell phones. The 3-D printer will become a consumer phenomenon in next 5 to 10 years.

I wonder will there still be world hunger in the next 5 to 10 years?

Maybe we could tackle all suffering.

I'm looking at this map and I noticed the "hunger" is pretty much concentrated to certain regions. Hmm I wonder will the 3-D printer change the dynamics of this map in the future???
hunger-map.jpg

Now this is the 2009 map, it looks the same to me. I'm quite sure an impact on world hunger could have showed up on this map. I don't this is an accident. I don't see how the 3-D printer is going to changed the map. If it does I could only hope for the future
world-hunger-map1.jpg

Alarm Clock

May 6, 2013
Africa has no hunger problem, Africa has a "I dont like that dude across the street for no reason " problem! When Black folks there embrace unity, and forget their petty differences, hunger there will be over within a week! Nations will nationalize their resources, keeping those trillions in the continent instead of in European hands, and they would also stop allowing land grabs of fertile farm land!

Alarm Clock

May 6, 2013
NASA awards grant for 3-D food printer; could it end world hunger?

3DPrinterFood.jpg

Call it food for thought. Or perhaps thought for food: NASA has given a six-month grant to a company developing what could be the world’s first 3-D food printer. And the project’s developer, reports Quartz, an online digital news site, believes the invention could be used to end world hunger.
Quartz explains that the printer is the brainchild of mechanical engineer Anjan Contractor. Being developed by Contractor’s company, Systems & Materials Research Corp., it will use proteins, carbohydrates and sugars to create edible food products.
Contractor says one of his primary motivations is a belief that food will become exponentially more expensive in the near future. The average consumer, he told Quartz, will need a more economically viable option.
Some alternative food source options that may be used with the printer include algae, duckweed, grass, lupine seeds, beet leaves and even insects, according to TNO Research, which is working with Contractor on the project.
“I think, and many economists think, that current food systems can’t supply 12 billion people sufficiently,” said Contractor. “So we eventually have to change our perception of what we see as food.”
One of Contractor’s first prototypes will be a 3-D pizza printer, and he hopes to begin building it over the next couple of weeks. Contractor, reports Quartz, explained that it will print "a layer of dough, which is baked at the same time it’s printed, by a heated plate at the bottom of the printer. Then it lays down a tomato base, 'which is also stored in a powdered form, and then mixed with water and oil.'" Lastly comes the "protein layer."
Contractor also hopes that people will be able to share recipes via an open source coding system.
“One of the major advantages of a 3-D printer is that it provides personalized nutrition,” Contractor told Quartz. “If you’re male, female, someone is sick—they all have different dietary needs. If you can program your needs into a 3-D printer, it can print exactly the nutrients that person requires.”
NASA is certainly a believer: The six-month grant comes to $125,000. The agency specifically interested in using the 3-D printer to feed astronauts on long space voyages.
READ MORE: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/nasa-awards-grant-3d-food-printer-could-end-194050661.html
The sad thing is why does all this , what we see as good stuff have to come from military contractors; one can only imagine what they will do with it http://systemsandmaterials.com/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Fly larvae eat food waste and can be turned into animal feed — and it's a trend that's catching on around the world All Things Africa 2
A Black People : Food Should Be Free Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : Got a brisk attitude her coo-chee is a dish for food so boys try kiss her in the mood to have sex have to grab the kotex her sexy stats roam when at h Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : Don't feed yours just anybody's. Food Black People Open Forum 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Your food habits Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Did the Dutch "steal" this African food? Food Discussion and Recipes 6
DigitallyBlack Food Discussion : Food Places in Los Angeles Food Discussion and Recipes 4
R Black Poetry : She have a brisk attitude holding a dish for food it's really game time that's her frame of mind in Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Dark chocolate is now a health food. Here’s how that happened Black Health and Wellness 0
Perfection Zambia : In Context Series: “GM or Death”--Food and Choice in Zambia Zambia 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Bootylicious-- Food and the Female Body in Contemporary Black Pop Culture Black People Politics 0
DigitallyBlack Audio Video Web Conferencing : Black Owned Food Truck Business Bleu Kitchen Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Destee Food Discussion : Testing Posting Links in Food Discussion Forum Food Discussion and Recipes 3
OldSoul Black People : National Black Food & Justice Alliance Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : How diet can affect mental health: The likely link between food and the brain Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Ethiopia : U.S. gives a further $91 million in food aid to drought-hit Ethiopia Ethiopia 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Did Luke exaggerate Paul's food distribution AACOOLDRE 1
D Food Discussion : What's your favorite Chinese food? Food Discussion and Recipes 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Study: Undocumented farm workers put food system at risk Black Health and Wellness 0
Chidike Black People Politics : Ahhh Yes.....Attack The Poor,Health Care,Food,Housing And Create Pseudo Attacks To Start A War Black People Politics 10
Liberty Black People Politics : Colin Kaepernick Jumps Into Campaign to Get Food to Somalis on Brink of Starvation Black People Politics 3
jamesfrmphilly Black People : food-cart-serving-free-food-only-to-black-people Black People Open Forum 4
HODEE Black People : California mom arrested for selling homemade food through Facebook Black People Open Forum 1
Liberty Health and Wellness : America’s Worst 9 Urban Food Deserts Black Health and Wellness 3
S Black People : The Food Stamp Capital of the U.S. is WHITE and REPUBLICAN Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : HE SAID : boo you can't hide your lace while in a specified place like in the FOOD LION in // VIRGIN Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Food Discussion : nyc-african-food-festival Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Why Walmart Just Decided to Get Rid of Two Huge Food Brands Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Liberty Health and Wellness : The Food Industry is Slowly Going BPA-Free Black Health and Wellness 0
Liberty Health and Wellness : Obama's latest food crackdown: Salt Black Health and Wellness 8
Liberty Health and Wellness : 5 reasons why you should avoid Canned food; All because they are harmful Black Health and Wellness 14
Liberty Food Discussion : Aretha Franklin launching food line: ‘Ms. Patti gonna have to move that pie to the side’ Food Discussion and Recipes 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : This Major Food Company May Have Just Changed the Direction of the GMO Labeling Debate Food Discussion and Recipes 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : 16 Food Trends That Will Take 2016 by Storm Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Liberty Black Positive People : Chef Quentin Love Donates Half of Food Network Winnings to Feed Chicago’s Hungry Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : If GMOs aren’t the problem with our food system, then what is? Food Discussion and Recipes 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : What are GMO's: 16 genetically modified foods that are critical to the US food supply Food Discussion and Recipes 2
ceebee Health and Wellness : %65 Fruit/some veges rest regular food Black Health and Wellness 0
Black Phoenix Steals and Deals : $45 Sam's Club Plus Membership + $21.94 Fresh Food Offers + $20 Gift Card + More Shopping - Steals and Deals! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : The Secret to Long Life Is Eating This Type of Food Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : 9 Tastiest Soul Food Spots in the U.S. Food Discussion and Recipes 6
Black Phoenix Black Money Business Jobs : Black Excellence: 5 Black-Owned Food Brands To Look For in Your Local Grocery Store Black Money Business Jobs 0
RAPTOR Black People : House passes bill blocking states from requiring GMO labels on food Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : The Healthiest Order at Every Major Fast-Food Chain Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Is It Safe to Reuse Plastic Food Containers? Food Discussion and Recipes 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : 10 Tips For Growing Your Own Food In Your Garden Food Discussion and Recipes 2
RAPTOR Black People : Food Stamp Suspension for Rioters? Baltimore Legislative Efforts Start Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : U.S. regulators may recommend testing food for glyphosate residues Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 9 Simple Ways to Keep Food Fresh/Foods to never put in the refrigerator Black Health and Wellness 5
RAPTOR Black People Politics : People Who Grow Their Own Food Labeled ‘Extremist’ by Dept. of Defense Black People Politics 1