1927 Flood: Worse Than Katrina

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
Racial injustices....worse than Katrina >>

When Weather Changed History: 1927 Flood

National Geographic
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/05/0501_river4.html

The Greatest Flood in History

In the winter of 1926-27 the rains were so heavy that on the tributaries of the Mississippi the water had overflowed the banks, causing floods to the west in Oklahoma and Kansas, to the east in Illinois and Kentucky.

On Good Friday, April 15, 1927, the Memphis Commercial Appeal warned: "The roaring Mississippi River, bank and levee full from St. Louis to New Orleans, is believed to be on its mightiest rampage...All along the Mississippi considerable fear is felt over the prospects for the greatest flood in history."

That Good Friday morning, the rains came, setting all-time records for their breadth and intensity. They came down over several hundred thousand square miles, covering much or all of the states of Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, and Louisiana.

In New Orleans in 18 hours there were 15 inches of rain—the greatest ever known there. The river swelled so high and flowed so fast that in Berry's woods, for the residents along the river, " It was like facing an angry, dark ocean."

One man recalled, decades later, "I saw a whole tree just disappear, sucked under by the current, then saw it shoot up, it must have been a hundred yards [downstream]. Looked like a missile fired by a submarine."

In the spring of 1927, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers assured the public that the levees would hold. The Corps had built them, after all. But as had been the case at the mouth of the river, the Corps overestimated its own prowress and underestimated the power of the river.

The Corps built the levee system to confine the river. They represented man's power over nature. If necessary, it was thought, the flow would be reduced with outlets that would divert part of the river into the biggest outlet of all, the Atchafalaya River, into the Gulf, or at Bonnet Carre, just above New Orleans, into Lake Pontchartrain and then to the Gulf.

Neither levees or outlets would work, according to James Buchanan Eads, the man who built the first railroad bridge over the Mississippi, at St. Louis, and the jetties at the river's mouth (in 1932 Deans of the American Colleges of Engineering named him one of the five greatest engineers of all time, ranking him with, among others, Leonardo DaVinci and Thomas Edison.)

At South Pass, at the mouth of the river, Eads had made the river obey his will. To prevent floods he proposed cut-offs to straighten and speed the river. The increased speed could scour the bed, even during lower water. The concentration of the river's force would lower the bed so the river would carry more water, faster. By such correction, Eads declared, "floods can be permanently lowered," which would render levees superfluous.

But no cut-offs were dug. Nor was another idea, to build reservoirs on the tributaries to hold back the water. Nor were any outlets dug. The Corps of Engineers--and then the residents of the Valley--relied on levees only.

At high water the river spread and rose even higher. In turn, the Corps raised the height of the levees, from two feet to 7.5 feet to as much as 38 feet. The Corps was confident that its levees-only system would hold in the river, and it so promised.

The levees failed. Here, there, sometimes it seemed everywhere, the river undercut the levees. Water poured through breaks called crevasses, covering with 30 feet of water land where nearly one million people lived.

Twenty-seven thousand square miles were inundated. This was about equal to the combined size of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Vermont. By July 1, even as the flood began to recede, 1.5 million acres were under water. The river was 70 miles wide.

I_AM_HER

Nov 7, 2020
Glad to see this posted here. One of those historical events that one never hears spoken about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico for Health Care — the Human Caravan You Haven’t Heard About Black Health and Wellness 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Live Barack Obama attacks Donald Trump and says 'American values' are at stake as protesters flood s Black People Politics 11
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Texas man’s discovery of Noah’s flood fossils ‘confirmed’ sight-unseen by biblical scholar Christian Study Group 0
42Tribes Black Spirituality Religion : The curse of Ham vs the Great Flood. What is more ridiculous and why? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 88
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The eagle has landed @ the Nile/Noah's flood AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : DID GOD DESTROY BY FLOOD AACOOLDRE 0
D Black Spirituality Religion : was Noah's flood real? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 23
P Black People : Post-flood city deals with race issue Black People Open Forum 0
P Black People : Chirac warns of 'African flood' Black People Open Forum 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : DA GREAT FLOOD (poet's Act.ll) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : THE GREAT FLOOD (poet's act l) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
A Amun-Ra : A Brief Look at Flood Myths Amun-Ra 11
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Is artificial intelligence making racial profiling worse? Science and Technology 3
blazejay Black People Politics : South Florida is worse for blacks Black People Politics 0
Ndugu Black People : the Gullah people were facing Gentrification / Florence made things worse Black People Open Forum 4
R Black Poetry : One boy construct and create my luck be great his number up to take first place but got the worse ta Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Destee Kenya : Nairobi Water Rationing to Get Worse As Ndakaini Hits New Low Kenya 1
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CDC: ZIKA VIRUS WORSE THAN THOUGHT? Black Health and Wellness 1
R Black Poetry : Got a wet thirst and things could get worse in this car, a honey // with charm not a funny farm pan Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Got a wet thirst and things could get worse in this car, a honey // with charm not a funny farm pant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Slavery in America was much worse than you probably imagined African American History Culture 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Popular hypertension drugs linked to worse heart health in blacks compared to whites Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Are race relations really worse under President Obama? Black People Politics 1
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : CIGARETTE SMOKING WORSE THAN THOUGHT Black Health and Wellness 5
Kemetstry Black People : THINGS WORSE THAN DEATH Black People Open Forum 152
chuck Black People : White Racist Media Hypecasting Is At It's Worse In 2013! Black People Open Forum 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Romney to NAACP: Economy is ‘worse for African Americans in almost every way’ Black People Politics 7
$$RICH$$ Black People : CAN IT GET ANY WORSE ?? Black People Open Forum 52
legit-writer Black People : which one is worse? Black People Open Forum 2
MsInterpret Black Parenting : Do kids really turn out 10 times worse than you? Black Parenting 3
R Black Poetry : DISS TO URBAN ESKIMO ON B-BOYS (WORSE SITE ON THE INERNET) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
Destee Black People : Which Is Worse - Us or Them Talking Ugly About Us? Black People Open Forum 20
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Help, before I make it worse. Black Relationships 26
Ankhur Black People : Another ENRON? no something much, much worse!! Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : Gay's Marching and NAACP Supporting.. I knew they sold us out.. but this is the worse Black People Open Forum 9
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : Resisting The Worse Case Scenario. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
river Black Relationships : Liar or Cheater - Which is Worse Black Relationships 40
U South Africa : South African leader tours U.S.; says conditions worse than apartheid South Africa 2
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Pain0f The Mind Is Worse Than The Pain of Body Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
P Black People : Big Easy boss sez cleanup no worse than WTC Black People Open Forum 1
SpiritualONE Black People : Worse Company To Deal With!! Black People Open Forum 4
M Black Relationships : "YOU BRING OUT THE WORSE IN ME!" Black Relationships 7
D Black Spirituality Religion : Which Person Is Worse? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
B Black People : Slavery! It didn't end there, it actually got worse. Black People Open Forum 3
1poetsought Quiet Poetry Lounge : For Better or Worse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
ASHANTA Black Poetry : The Pain0f The Mind Is Worse Than The Pain of Body Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
G Black Women : Playing the Who Had it Worse Game? Black Women 6
S Black Poetry : worse alone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
S Black Poetry : could be worse Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Queenie Oral Health in Blacks, Worse than Whites Black Health and Wellness 0