African American History Culture : 15,000 sign petition calling for black history museum to include Clarence Thomas

NNQueen

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
I'm so tired of splitting hairs when it comes to character and position. Too often we feel the need to look past character flaws to find some greater "good" in individuals. Don't parents still teach their children that there are rewards for "good" behavior and punishment for "bad" behavior. Why does that change when we become adults? No wonder mental illness among Blacks is on the rise. Sometimes it's got to be all or nothing. I can respect the position, and not the person holding the position. The same holds true for our sitting president.

Also, I don't consider any woman, who alleges in front of Congress that she is a victim of sexual harassment by a man, and provides credible evidence of that, as her "claim to fame". :( I think that minimizes the seriousness of her allegations. Others might disagree but I applaud Anita Hill for her courage to take such a bold and highly risk-taking step to speak out about the character of the person being considered for one of the highest judicial positions in America. I hope many people have learned from her and act likewise. But sadly, Anita Hill is just another example, like so many other women, then and now, who have the "audacity" to speak up only to get slammed and in her situation, slammed by one of the democrats who sat on the congressional panel at the time and is the front runner among his peers for President in 2020.

My opinion: Take a stand and don't straddle the fence.

Symbol of America

Oct 1, 2017
East America
Occupation
RET: EMS & TPD
Not only are your two the only "Excellent comments" on this thread but the "Most logical and coherent comments" NNQueen and Fireman. I sincerely thank and commend you. However I disagree with the underlying theme of this thread on two points in fairness to all those of our race, the good, the bad and the ugly if you will. Anita Hill's only claim to fame were her personal allegations of sexual impropriety lodged against Clarence Thomas. The legal recourse available to her was reporting same to the law enforcement agency within it's jurisdiction the alleged crime occurred in. The investigation resulted in a no petition for a bill of criminal indictment. As legitimate as they were believed to be they were in no way, shape or form a furtherance of Black Americans progress. Anita Hills allegations were introduced into the Congressional vetting process and deemed to be unfounded and Clarence Thomas being cleared of such then finally being appointed is not the issue here. Like him or not and I don't like him either but Justice Clarence Thomas is a standing member of our Supreme Court and if any one of us stood before his bench we would without hesitation address him as "Your honor". You don't have to respect the man but proper comportment dictates that you must respect the position like Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. as well as Malcolm-X, Joanne Chesimard, Angela Davis, Reverend Adam Clayton Powell Jr., Shirley Chisholm, Huey Newton, Reverend Jesse jackson Sr., Reverend Al Sharpton, Bill Cosby "Who was another little known old school civil rights pioneer alongside Harry Belafonte. The list is long and quite distinguished and like any other list of notables of all races, creeds, cultures and colors has some taint attached to it. That's what it is to be human and in the eyes of our all knowing GOD we are all human, frailties notwithstanding. I would not be forthright and honest if I didn't say I feel that Justice of the Supreme Court Clarence Thomas deserves to have his display in the back of the Smithsonian Institute next to the dumpster rife with trash, garbage, and other filth we scrape off the bottom of our shoes on a daily basis but in all fairness to the lessor of us like him his qualifications should not in any way diminish his standing amongst our more notable pioneers. Now before my soapbox starts sagging under the weight of my rant I wanna address one more craw in my cap. In our world of fakery, foolishness and fraud Rosa Parks was "NOT" the first Black passenger to have been arrested before the 1955 Montgomery Alabama Bus Boycott. Claudette Colvin was. Five (5) arrest later the only reason the NAACP actually decided to act like an organization that cared for Blacks, oops, Negros was when their volunteer Rosa Parks suffered the indignity of having to share a jail cell with lesser Blacks, oops again, Negros. So let's swap out that fraud of a display too. Thanks for reading. Much luv.
Thurgood Marshall..................need I say more?

Let Thomas rest in the museum beside the lost southern cause revisionists he so admires.
I won't claim him.
Brother ogoun I can respect that.
I'm so tired of splitting hairs when it comes to character and position. Too often we feel the need to look past character flaws to find some greater "good" in individuals. Don't parents still teach their children that there are rewards for "good" behavior and punishment for "bad" behavior. Why does that change when we become adults? No wonder mental illness among Blacks is on the rise. Sometimes it's got to be all or nothing. I can respect the position, and not the person holding the position. The same holds true for our sitting president.

Also, I don't consider any woman, who alleges in front of Congress that she is a victim of sexual harassment by a man, and provides credible evidence of that, as her "claim to fame". :( I think that minimizes the seriousness of her allegations. Others might disagree but I applaud Anita Hill for her courage to take such a bold and highly risk-taking step to speak out about the character of the person being considered for one of the highest judicial positions in America. I hope many people have learned from her and act likewise. But sadly, Anita Hill is just another example, like so many other women, then and now, who have the "audacity" to speak up only to get slammed and in her situation, slammed by one of the democrats who sat on the congressional panel at the time and is the front runner among his peers for President in 2020.

My opinion: Take a stand and don't straddle the fence.
Hear hear!
Thanks for educating me but my take on this situation to me it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff considering the uncanny timing of the accusation. I wasn't there so I can only form my opinions from what is available in the media archives. Agree to disagree so all you bros and sises have a Blessed weekend. Much luv.

Symbol of America

Oct 1, 2017
East America
Occupation
RET: EMS & TPD

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love:
Destee wrote on Charles Thompson's profile.
Hi Chuck ... is that you?!!! ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! ... :yaay: ... I sure hope so! I have thought of you often! If it is not you, sorry for writing on your profile page @Charles Thompson and Welcome! ... :wave: