African American History Culture : ‘Black Silent Majority,’ by Michael Javen Fortner

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

BLACK SILENT MAJORITY
The Rockefeller Drug Laws and the Politics of Punishment

By Michael Javen Fortner

Illustrated. 350 pp. Harvard University Press. $29.95.

... In the end, it is undoubtedly true that black people dislike criminal behavior. But to say, as Fortner does, that working- and middle-class black folks “renounced racial ties and denounced previously held progressive beliefs” in the 1960s because of crime victimization overstates the case and oversimplifies black life. Black people despair and hope, crave vengeance and forgive, seek security and justice — sometimes all at once and almost always beyond the reach of the bulk of evidence, consisting of news stories and survey results, presented here ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/books/review/black-silent-majority-by-michael-javen-fortner.html?_r=1

In 1967, the Upper Park Avenue Baptist Church in Harlem provided armed protective services for residents as part of an anti-crime initiative.CreditMeyer Liebowitz/The New York Times

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Only after black people of my generations became adults etc

Did even more than a minority of us

Also who became black activists

Truly able to decide who was worthy enough to lead us anywhere

Others were found out to be sellouts and traitors in our midst too

I also hope and pray today's young black activists have much better luck

fyi

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

BLACK SILENT MAJORITY
The Rockefeller Drug Laws and the Politics of Punishment

By Michael Javen Fortner

Illustrated. 350 pp. Harvard University Press. $29.95.

... In the end, it is undoubtedly true that black people dislike criminal behavior. But to say, as Fortner does, that working- and middle-class black folks “renounced racial ties and denounced previously held progressive beliefs” in the 1960s because of crime victimization overstates the case and oversimplifies black life. Black people despair and hope, crave vengeance and forgive, seek security and justice — sometimes all at once and almost always beyond the reach of the bulk of evidence, consisting of news stories and survey results, presented here ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/books/review/black-silent-majority-by-michael-javen-fortner.html?_r=1

In 1967, the Upper Park Avenue Baptist Church in Harlem provided armed protective services for residents as part of an anti-crime initiative.CreditMeyer Liebowitz/The New York Times

We can only hope that those who claim to be past or present black movement activists etc have already done their homework too

The film american gangster may well be both a reality check and a wake up call for those who didn't or don't choose to

fyi

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Since the drug trade has also become a part of black culture and life for several decades

Far more is needed than just more study groups and thinktank generated proposals etc

fyi

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I also hope and pray today's young black activists have much better luck

Only after black people of my generations became adults etc

Did even more than a minority of us

Also who became black activists

Truly able to decide who was worthy enough to lead us anywhere

Others were found out to be sellouts and traitors in our midst too

fyi

Likewise, my heart goes out to the new Black Activists.

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: