Black People : GREEK SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Mar 30, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    They commit to community involvement because they have to. I am led to think that if there was no requirement to participate in fund raising drives, community service activities and the like, it would be all about partying, having fun, and popularity. On the larger scale, it is disappointing what many of them do with the greek letters going across their chests. That is also not to mention some of them will cut their friends off, and find a new group of friends...it causes more division than unity.

Actually, the label does matter. Even in greek, the name speaks volumes! If that were the case, then what is to be said about the greek terms/names in the Bible? That it does not matter...they have no meaning; they are just words?

Also, what is meant by “think black?” Most who “think black” are somewhat “pro-black;” where are the greeks who “think black?” I'd like to know.

I am afraid that many greek members of today's college campuses do not understand the foundations and histories behind their organizations. For if they did, and really took pride in it, you would not have to “go to the website.” Why do I need the Internet to tell me what you should have a wealth of knowledge about? As a member of the Afrikan nation, would it make sense to tell white folks who ask me “Why is Kwame Nkrumah?” to go to the website...as if I do not have the answer right in my Afro-centric mind!

KWABENA

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...So in other words, the true meaning behind the letters are not public knowledge...it is only reserved for members? You also mentioned “slap in the face to the founders...” wouldn't the behaviors of most of the members today nationwide be considered a “slap in the face” as well?

KWABENA

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Sets n' cliques...sounds even more similar to gangs. As far as Jena 6 vs. Black Greek – that is the norm, and in order to prove my points throughout the entire thread, all I will tell you to do is keep living...it will get worse (and I use the term worse boldly). Keep living, and I dare anyone to prove me wrong. Actions that will be taken in the future of this country is all the proof I need.

It is things such as the experience you just explained that make me question it as well. However, in the past 3 ½ years, I have witnessed “things” at the hands of fraternities you may consider unimaginable – yet they are supposed to be well-established. Granted – everyone does “stuff,” but to continue doing it and act as if it is done “in the name of community involvement” is ridiculous. Out of respect for the greek Brothas and Sistahs here, I will not say that I commend you for not getting involved, but I will say the decision you made is well respected. I too have had a multitude of greeks convince me to get involved, then get upset when I don't commit, but that's just me. As far as them bringing about [positive] change, we'll see what happens.

KWABENA

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Oh no! Please my dearest sistah – do not tell me you are comparing Afro-centricism with Greek tradition! They are very distinct, for they have very separate foundations. Let us also remember that the founders of the BPP were done away with at the hands of the U.S. Government, while the Greek founders managed to survive...what's up with that? Why is it that today you would be considered “racist” to join a BPP-affiliated group, but joining a greek group would be considered rewarding?

Please explain in good detail how so...and understand that you did not have to sleep with anyone to be recognized in Afro-centric orgs.

That is great to hear and know!

KWABENA

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...I will return to this later...

KWABENA

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I am sorry my dearest sistah, but I would not call them assumptions. Seeing it from the outside in would not lead to “assumptions” if things made sense from beginning to end. Just like you, I too am going by experience, and besides A Different World, my experiences with frats/soros (greeks) have been so negative...I could barely remember them all. Also, you must keep in mind that I have been right in the center of greek madness for the past several years, and even continue to see it to this day.

If undergrads need improvement, don't you think that as the elders of them y'all could motivate them and help them to make improvements? Surely as a fellow soro and influence, they would listen to you...won't they?

As I said above, y'all could make the difference...they should listen to you. These kids that you are referring to, my sistah, are facing a handful of challenges as they near their graduation dates (permitted they make it to graduation)...don't you think the “growing process” should start earlier in order for them to secure their futures? I know the past few groups of young people coming into college joining greeks are very mis-informed of the history behind the orgs, and are very unprepared for what is to come in the future...how will emphasis on greek involvement help them in such areas?

I will conclude by asking the same question I asked earlier in the thread, and did not get an answer to:

“How does performing community service as a Greek separate me from doing so as a non-greek?”

KWABENA

7. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +552
    My only thing is, why do we fashion ourselves after Europeans? We always using something of theirs. It could be their letters, their organizations, or whatever! The fact remains that we are betraying ourselves when we associate ourselves with a people that practically hate us! Why aren't we joining organizations that are completely about us? First we wanted be Odd Fellows(Grand United Order of Odd Fellows), then we wanted to be Masons(Prince Hall Affiliated), and now we want to be Greeks(the Divine 9 and others). The only African oriented Societies I see today that are open to everyone is the Order of Kush and a few Afrocentric fraternities here and there. I'm not saying we should all join Afrocentric groups, because I know and understand that we are not all Afrocentrics. I just makes me wonder why we would associate ourselves with a people who historically and still unto this present day, are savages!

8. MenNefer

MenNefer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    The diasporic hybrid culture

It's not that we forgot why we wanted to be free .....we forgot the FRAME OF REFERENCE by which we defined freedom.

It's like Wade Nobles said, Power is the ability to define ones reality and have people respond to your definition as if it were their own.

In this type of atmosphere where people are informed from a variety of sources , neo, hybridized, remixed , revised SOURCES one of the main things we can do is plant seeds and keep steppin .....become a scanner ....That is not to say profile and prejudge (we do that anyway in varying degrees) but make the interpersonal exchange potently provacative but not personal and strive to make the whole process as constructively efficient as possible ....and then kick rocks. None of this is personal ......it is about peoples lack of understanding that they are, in part, a programming matrix, a receptacle/generator of patterns and or willing participants in a competative marketplace of concepts/idealogues. Whatever is permitted IS permitted and whomever:SuN003: collectively and efficiently builds on what has been permitted dominates the customes and trends and essentially the sphere of awareness.

We experience and internalize most of what "reality" presents to us via established constructs with its predetermined scripts, catch phrases and jingles. Most of the time people gravitate,myopically, towards the small rewards or the minimal viability of these constructs( proverbial bandaids in the community) without questioning the cultural implications and to who's expense/benefit would it be if it became more of a minus than a plus in the bigger scheme. The lions share of these questions and possible solutions presuppose a intact and functional centralized intelligencia with the equal power of shaping the values of the members they share a vested cultural interest with in delineating PURPOSE.

Do melanated people have a "unique gift" to give to this planet when allowed its full (uninhibited) cultural and COLLECTIVE expression or do we need to just be about the business of living (compensating) regardless of whos rules or standards it is?

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...Even still Bro, it comes down to authenticity...How well do we perform as the people we were brought into existence to be?

That's Peace!

KWABENA

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Right on point, Bro.

KWABENA